Hit and run users on IRC

Alexander Lehmann

Jan 11, 2017, 6:30:08 PM1/11/17
to vert.x
It seems that users connecting to IRC via the webchat page (which are presumably coming from the community page on the vertx.io pages) are often asking a question and then waiting maybe 10 minutes before they close the page and disconnect. (or they say hello and then disconnect after a short while).

I wonder if it would help if the welcome message on the channel would directly address webchat users and ask them to maybe give their question either longer time and not close the page or to use a irc client (which most users will not know anymore).

Julien Viet

Jan 12, 2017, 3:15:28 AM1/12/17
to ve...@googlegroups.com
do we provide this web page link ?

On Jan 12, 2017, at 12:30 AM, Alexander Lehmann <alex...@gmail.com> wrote:

It seems that users connecting to IRC via the webchat page (which are presumably coming from the community page on the vertx.io pages) are often asking a question and then waiting maybe 10 minutes before they close the page and disconnect. (or they say hello and then disconnect after a short while).

I wonder if it would help if the welcome message on the channel would directly address webchat users and ask them to maybe give their question either longer time and not close the page or to use a irc client (which most users will not know anymore).

Alexander Lehmann

Jan 12, 2017, 6:49:39 AM1/12/17
to vert.x
Yes, its on the community page http://vertx.io/community/ under "IRC channel"

https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#vertx

Julien Viet

Jan 12, 2017, 10:57:05 AM1/12/17
to ve...@googlegroups.com
oh, never noticed this link.

On the same page, we say that IRC is for chatting purposes and there is the User Group block that mentions there are discussions for issues related to Vert.x

Alexander Lehmann

Jan 12, 2017, 1:24:24 PM1/12/17
to vert.x
I assume that nobody really reads the explanation, then on the other hand nobody will read the welcome message either, since people tend to say Hello and wait for a reply to be polite, which is explained in the irc topic that its not necessary.