Live Redeploy in Production / Graceful Upgrade

Terry Bleger

Jun 23, 2016, 2:44:51 PM6/23/16
to vert.x
Hi,

Is it possible to redeploy the whole jar gracefully in the production situation?

All I know it was meant to be used in the development mode. Is it also possible to use it in the production?

So, basically if I have a new jar, I want to replace the old one, then vert.x will handle the migration like:
1. Blocking all new connection,
2. Wail until the last request has been processed,
3. Run the new jar and shutdown the old one.

Do I have to implement this by my self? Or has someone already implemented that?

Thanks in advance.

TB.

Clement Escoffier

Jun 24, 2016, 1:42:56 AM6/24/16
to ve...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

You can do this with a circuit breaker that, when the service is offline, enqueue request until it’s live again. If you check the end of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpdW93fKGPw ~ min 48, you have an example not enqueuing request but using a backup instance. However, it’s mostly the same mechanism.

Notice that starting the new app and shutting down the old one is not managed by vert.x, but by your deployment infrastructure.

Clement