Which monitoring tool are you using?

Eric Koston

Oct 13, 2016, 4:20:35 PM10/13/16
to vert.x
Hi all

I want to know, which monitoring are you using or are you recommended to use?
Which monitoring tool is suitable to dropwizard metrics.

Thanks

Thomas SEGISMONT

Oct 14, 2016, 3:24:32 AM10/14/16
to ve...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Dropwizard comes with a reporter for Graphite and Ganglia, but there are a number of third-party reporters:

Does you company already use a monitoring system? In this case I would recommend to try to reuse the same tool first.

Regards,
Thomas

Clement Escoffier

Oct 14, 2016, 3:33:22 AM10/14/16
to ve...@googlegroups.com
As Thomas said, you generally want to integrate Vert.x metrics in the system used by your company.

Fortunately they are many plugins for Dropwizard to integrate with “almost” anything. If it does not exist, there are instructions to publish Vert.x metrics as “REST” (using Jolokia), and using Vert.x metrics to create Nagios checks (http://vertx.io/docs/vertx-dropwizard-metrics/java/#_using_jolokia_and_hawtio and http://vertx.io/docs/vertx-dropwizard-metrics/java/#_using_jolokia_and_jmx4perl_to_expose_metrics_to_nagios). Finally, you can also use JMXTrans (http://www.jmxtrans.org/).

Clement

Eric Koston

Oct 20, 2016, 2:22:33 AM10/20/16
to vert.x
Hi,

Sorry I was on vacation.

At our company we are not using a monitoring tool at all. My task is, to find a monitoring tool for our company.

Which monitoring would you recommended our company to use?
Graphite looks promising.

Thanks

Dominic Rübelzahn

Oct 20, 2016, 2:29:32 AM10/20/16
to vert.x
Hey,

a good way to start is using Dropwizard and enable JMX. A lot of monitoring tools can use that and give you a detailed view off hardware and software together.

greetings,
Dominic

Eric Koston

Oct 20, 2016, 6:24:03 AM10/20/16
to vert.x
Is there any good tutorials on the web?

Eric Koston

Oct 20, 2016, 7:55:43 AM10/20/16
to vert.x
Anyone knows prometheus?

Alexander Lehmann

Oct 20, 2016, 10:39:58 AM10/20/16
to vert.x
Paolo did a presentation for vertx with prometheus at a conference recently, that might be worth checking out:

https://vimeo.com/album/4133413/video/181905280

On Thursday, October 20, 2016 at 1:55:43 PM UTC+2, Eric Koston wrote:
Anyone knows prometheus?

Tim Lindgren

Oct 20, 2016, 11:36:45 AM10/20/16
to vert.x
We are using Prometheus and are very happy with it. Dropwizard together with JMX exporter for monitoring Vertx services, node-exporter for monitoring system metrics and using Prometheus together with their Alertmanager and Grafana for graphing.

Eric Koston

Oct 21, 2016, 5:49:15 AM10/21/16
to vert.x
I am now very confuse, how everythings works togheter.

It is not enough to have Prometheus and Dropwizard? Do I need JMX too?

And how should I start?

Thanks

Konstantinos Liakos

Oct 21, 2016, 7:47:27 AM10/21/16
to vert.x

ad...@cs.miami.edu

Oct 23, 2016, 10:54:06 PM10/23/16
to vert.x
For monitoring my http services I use StatusCake, easy to setup and has a rather robust free-tier.

-Adam

Werner Keil

Dec 1, 2016, 9:41:20 AM12/1/16
to vert.x
Before I recently learned about Hawkular (APM) I used PCP for client projects: http://pcp.io (it is also mostly maintained by Red Hat now)

A few weeks ago at Apache Big Data Europe I presented a brief comparison of some monitoring tools from PCP to Apache Sirona, Dropwizard Metrics or StatsD.
"Performance Monitoring for the Cloud" under http://pcp.io/presentations.html