Vert.x 3.3.0 released

Julien Viet

Jun 27, 2016, 4:02:32 AM6/27/16
to ve...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

It's been a long while but here we are!

We are very pleased to announce the release of Vert.x 3.3.0! This release is huge with lots of new features, improvements and bug fixes (obviously) that we won’t details all the new features here (some are below).

- full release notes are available: https://github.com/vert-x3/wiki/wiki/3.3.0---Release-Notes
- breaking changes: https://github.com/vert-x3/wiki/wiki/3.3.0-Breaking-Changes

The artifacts have been deployed to Maven Central and you can get the distribution on Bintray also available from SDKMan and Homebrew.

The event bus client using the SockJS bridge is available from NPM, Bower and as a WebJar:

- https://www.npmjs.com/package/vertx3-eventbus-client
- https://github.com/vert-x3/vertx-bus-bower
- http://www.webjars.org/

Docker images are also available on the Docker Hub.

The examples have also been upgraded to 3.3.0 : https://github.com/vert-x3/vertx-examples/

Let’s highlight some of the major features shipped with this release.

Vertx 3.3.0 is the first version to support HTTP2 (client and server). You can now configure HTTP servers and clients to use HTTP2. Proxy support for TCP and HTTP clients has also been added.

This version also introduces a new bridge with Apache Camel. Integrating Vert.x applications with legacy systems (using EIP) has never been so easy.

Several new components have been developed to implement microservice-based applications. First, a pluggable service discovery is now available. An implementation of the circuit breaker pattern has also been provided.

AMQP support has been also integrated via a bridge to send and receive messages from AMQP. A client is also shipped to interact directly with an AMQP broker or router.

New metrics are introduced to ease the monitoring of running applications. For instance, it’s now possible to monitor the thread usage in the worker thread pool and in the JDBC connection pools.

With this version, you can configure the TCP aspects of the event bus to, for instance, use SSL. Take also note of a new a bridge between the event bus of Vert.x 2 and Vert.x 3.

Most of the delivered components are now deployable in OSGi environments. So you can easily integrate Vert.x in Apache Karaf, Service Mix, or Apache Sling.

Vert.x Unit usability has been greatly improved. It is now possible to write test using Hamcrest, AssertJ, Rest Assured, or any assertion libraries you want.

Many thanks to all the committers and community whose contributions made this possible, especially to Alex Lehman, Paul Bakker, Robbie Gemmel, Claus Ibsen, Michael Kremer, and many many other !

Last but not least I want to thank Clement and Paulo for the impressive contributions they have made to Vert.x - both joined the Vert.x core team a year ago and their presence has made a significant difference!!!

Just a word about the future. As we did last, year, a poll will be organized in the next few weeks to collect ideas and prioritize the Vert.x 3.4 and beyond roadmap. Stay tuned, we love hearing about your ideas and issues.

Happy coding !

Julien

Mihai Cazacu

Jun 27, 2016, 4:40:44 AM6/27/16
to vert.x
Impressive changes! Congrats and keep up the good work!

Jason.Gang

Jun 27, 2016, 8:17:47 AM6/27/16
to vert.x

Good News!

Congratulations!

在 2016年6月27日星期一 UTC+8下午4:02:32,Julien Viet写道:

Asher Tarnopolski

Jun 27, 2016, 8:49:27 AM6/27/16
to vert.x
you rock!

Martijn Verburg

Jun 27, 2016, 9:35:22 AM6/27/16
to ve...@googlegroups.com
Very welcome release - great work!

Cheers,
Martijn

On 27 June 2016 at 13:49, Asher Tarnopolski <ata...@gmail.com> wrote:
you rock!

lukjel

Jun 27, 2016, 5:04:19 PM6/27/16
to vert.x
GREAT!

You are doing AWESOME work!

BTW: is anyone doing some "evangelistic" work? Please - let me know!

Regards
Lukasz.

Message has been deleted

radoslaw busz

Jun 27, 2016, 5:11:06 PM6/27/16
to vert.x
Keep the good work! Can't wait to upgrade my project and try it out.

Doug Galligan

Jun 27, 2016, 5:23:06 PM6/27/16
to vert.x
Great job, can't wait to get started with this release.  btw. is anyone else having issues accessing the Javadocs from the site?  Other language API docs are available.

Garrick Olson

Jun 27, 2016, 9:16:16 PM6/27/16
to vert.x
Wow! Lots of great stuff. Thank you very much.

If I may make a suggestion, could there be a little more formal process around security vulnerabilities? Specifically:

- A security advisory page somewhere outlining vulnerabilities by release
- A documented procedure for privately reporting (and fixing) vulnerabilities (i.e. not the public bug tracker)
- Issuing CVEs for vulnerabilities (so they end up in the NVD so security tools can warn us)
- Bonus: A separate announce list just for releases and advisories

It might make sense to basically copy what the Tomcat team does, which seems to work well:

My concern is that it is hard to track the risks associated with using Vert.x. For example, this release fixes a *very* serious issue with JWT authentication, which unfortunately was disclosed a fair bit before the release, and many people on older releases might not have noticed the problem yet. There are a few other security-related fixes in 3.3.0 where I am unsure of the impact.

I hope I don't sound critical. I really like Vert.x and just want to make sure we (and everyone else) can use it safely.

Regards,
Garrick

Hai Nguyen

Jun 27, 2016, 11:47:29 PM6/27/16
to vert.x
So great ! Thanks for all of vertx team efforts !

Hope clojure support will be available soon :D

Paulo Lopes

Jun 28, 2016, 5:35:39 AM6/28/16
to vert.x
This is very good feedback, that we should look into!

Thanks!

Martijn Verburg

Jun 28, 2016, 1:49:23 PM6/28/16
to ve...@googlegroups.com
+1 to this - we've been communicating privately on security issues, would be good to have a project wide approach.

Cheers,
Martijn

Alexandru Ardelean

Jul 3, 2016, 4:53:08 AM7/3/16