vert.x for decentralized P2P computing and for flow-based programming..

Arnold Schrijver

Oct 17, 2017, 3:44:12 AM10/17/17
to vert.x
(copied from https://groups.google.com/d/msg/vertx/duFVIcSR0zg/jz18lIg9AQAJ to its own thread)

hi,

there are 2 fields of application i would love to see more vert.x solutions emerging:

- vert.x for decentralized P2P computing (aka The Decentralized Web)
- vert.x for flow-based programming

decentralized peer-to-peer computing

rather than me trying to explain why this would be interesting, let me point you to this url: https://ischoolonline.syr.edu/blog/what-is-the-decentralized-web/
the decentralized web is imho requirement for a healthy growth of the internet in the long term and furthermore it fits perfectly with the IoT

vert.x is already quite distributed by nature and would be a perfect fit to be further decentralized
i have done research into technologies such as IPFS, secure scuttlebot, the Dat Project and many others, and what's interesting is that at the moment there does not exist a good general-purpose P2P application framework that works across the internet

Dat Project (datproject.org) - implemented mostly in node.js - comes closest, offering hypercore + hyperdrive --> P2P raw data streams that are gossiped between a dynamic node swarm, peer discovery, dns nat-traversal, forward-only logs, encryption, etc. and with a filesystem abstraction on top (in the form of hyperdrive)

but it is no application framework, too much node.js bound and i have issues with their development approach.. even made the suggestion to take vert.x community as example for good project reorganization :)
(my feedback to Dat Project: https://github.com/datproject/discussions/issues/58 )

polyglot flow-based programming

i knew about flow-based programming for a number of years, sideways following https://noflojs.org/ and https://flowhub.io/ developments, but now i am thinking of some real use cases for FBP related to my current work
will have to get up-to-date yet, do some real research, but already see vert.x - with her loosely-coupled verticles, microservices support and functional reactive programming as ideal for FBP.. and it is polyglot as well!!
perfec fit :)

wdyt?

MUNGAI NJOROGE

Dec 17, 2018, 5:00:31 AM12/17/18
to vert.x
Hi, I just found this thread in this group. I would like know if there is a solution to work with distributed files. I am using IPFS-JAVA but sometimes its doesn't work well with non-existing hash keys. The thread is blocked and the only solution is to restart an application.