problem using vertx.when

Michael Smolyak

Mar 5, 2015, 9:54:55 PM3/5/15
to ve...@googlegroups.com

I cloned the vertx-when project and built it locally. To build it I had to switch from Java 7 to Java 8, which I did. The project is installed locally as "com.englishtown.vertx:vertx-when:4.0.0-SNAPSHOT".

I added this statement to my build.gradle:

compile "com.englishtown.vertx:vertx-when:4.0.0-SNAPSHOT"

I am able to run 'gradle install' or 'gradle fatjar' for my Vert.x application written in Groovy without any problems.

Here is the code, which gives me trouble:

package test
import org.vertx.groovy.core.eventbus.Message
import org.vertx.groovy.platform.Verticle
import org.vertx.java.core.Future
import com.englishtown.promises.WhenFactory
import com.englishtown.vertx.promises.WhenVertx
import com.englishtown.promises.When
import com.englishtown.vertx.promises.impl.DefaultWhenVertx

class ApplicationVerticle extends Verticle {

    def start(Future startedResult) {
        def config = container.config

        When when = WhenFactory.createSync();
        WhenVertx whenContainer = new DefaultWhenVertx(vertx, when);

I get a runtime error when trying to run either the ApplicationVerticle or the entire module.

On line When when = WhenFactory.createSync(); I get this error:

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/inject/Provider

I found a post related to this error suggesting adding this line to Vert.x langs.properties

groovy=com.englishtown~vertx-mod-hk2~1.7.0:com.englishtown.vertx.hk2.HK2VerticleFactory

Adding this line causes another error when I try to run the Verticle (it has no effect on the module):

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/vertx/groovy/platform/Verticle

What is the proper way of integrating vertx-when with a Vert.x application?