Cluster / eventBus / pub/sub KO but hazelcat works

Jean Philippe VAY

Nov 25, 2015, 4:47:23 PM11/25/15
to vert.x
Hi everybody

Config : Vertx 3.1 / linux (elementary os) / multicast ok (checked with ifconfig/ iperf)
Context : vertx embedded + elasticsearch (cluster) embedded

Default config for hazelcat and vertx (no XML config).

Hazelcat works great (i use a clustered IQueue)
I can see all the vertx deployed  but i have troubles with eventBus publish() and consumer

On the same machine/host (1 JVM per vertx) publish/consume works.
On two machines/host  publish:consume doesn't work, i mean each publish are received only by the host which published.

I guess i have a network problem ? Why such a difference beetween Hazelcat (OK),   Elasticsearch (OK) and vertX/eventBus (KO) ?

Any idea (stuff to check ) ?

Thanks.

Michel Guillet

Nov 26, 2015, 4:36:51 AM11/26/15
to ve...@googlegroups.com
Jean-Philippe,

I had several times similar issues: you should check that nothing (e.g. firewall) is preventing Vert.x to be reached on its cluster port:
http://vertx.io/docs/vertx-core/java/#_run_verticles
> cluster-port - If the cluster option has also been specified then this determines which port will be used for cluster communication with other Vert.x instances. Default is 0 - which means 'choose a free random port'. You don’t usually need to specify this parameter unless you really need to bind to a specific port.

Noe that this port is different from the Hazelcast port.

If this port is non reachable from other cluster nodes you also have a similar symptom: event bus messages timing-out across the cluster.

Or maybe it’s completely something else :-) but that would be my first guess!

Cheers,

Michel

Jean Philippe VAY

Nov 26, 2015, 9:46:57 AM11/26/15
to vert.x
First guess was almost right..

myClusterOptions
.setClustered(true)
.setClusterHost(myIPHost);
That's it.

Michel Guillet

Nov 26, 2015, 9:55:34 AM11/26/15
to ve...@googlegroups.com
Ah :-) Vert.x doesn’t bind its cluster everywhere as far as I know.

Michel

Jean Philippe VAY

Nov 27, 2015, 6:22:45 AM11/27/15
to ve...@googlegroups.com