Does any solutions exist for assets pipeline?

Roman Novikov

Apr 15, 2017, 2:14:35 AM4/15/17
to vert.x
I mean something like this http://guides.rubyonrails.org/asset_pipeline.html
After googling I found plugins for gradle: https://github.com/eriwen/gradle-js-plugin but it's not seem robust solution, for example there's no digest option. Maybe somebody know better solution for full-stack web-development

Clement Escoffier

Apr 15, 2017, 3:12:07 AM4/15/17
to ve...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

There is an example of the Vert.x Maven Plugin (https://github.com/fabric8io/vertx-maven-plugin/tree/master/samples/vertx-web-example) showing how you can use bower, Grunt, and Node based tools with Vert.x Web. It provides the “redeployment” of the processed assets upon change.

Clement

On 15 Apr 2017, at 08:14, Roman Novikov <myst...@gmail.com> wrote:

I mean something like this http://guides.rubyonrails.org/asset_pipeline.html
After googling I found plugins for gradle: https://github.com/eriwen/gradle-js-plugin but it's not seem robust solution, for example there's no digest option. Maybe somebody know better solution for full-stack web-development

Sandeep Srinivasa

Apr 18, 2017, 5:22:43 AM4/18/17
to vert.x
@Roman - did you find anything else on this topic. I have the same question.

I was looking some very interesting work done here - https://github.com/bertramdev/asset-pipeline . There is also a website at http://www.asset-pipeline.com/ . Perhaps some of that work can be adopted into vertx, but an asset pipeline is sorely needed for production web work.

If any vertx core devs have a thought around this, it would be great to hear from them. Do you philosophically see this as an essential part of vertx ?

Roman Novikov

Apr 18, 2017, 6:21:31 AM4/18/17
to vert.x
I liked https://github.com/bertramdev/asset-pipeline more then using bower and friends. But unfortunately bertramdev/asset-pipeline doesn't look mature.
The situation around working with frontend is dire. We need detailed documentation for integration with bower and native js tools or impove asset-pipeline plugin. I my point of view it's very important, we can't create modern project for web without well-designed frontend workflow.
In my project I created gradle task, which build and minify my static-resources with YUI library, but it's reinvent the wheel, I hope to find better solution.

Konstantyn Smirnov

Apr 26, 2017, 12:40:53 PM4/26/17
to vert.x
This one is also used in Grails by default and is pretty nice and mature

Paulo Lopes

Apr 26, 2017, 1:51:34 PM4/26/17
to vert.x
If you're looking for a way to package your frontend SPA all modern js frameworks kind of converge to webpack and Babel.js.

In this case integrate it with your build should be straightforward, for example:

https://github.com/pmlopes/vertx3-nashorn.next/tree/master/examples/webpack-classic

And you can have a look at:

http://www.jetdrone.xyz/vertx-starter/

Where all npm projects use webpack by default.

Roman Novikov

Apr 26, 2017, 3:21:56 PM4/26/17
to vert.x
I decided to play with https://github.com/bertramdev/asset-pipeline
Using npm is too heavy to my purpose I just want to build and minify/gz my static resources without downloading 100+ useless libs with nodejs :)

Thomas SEGISMONT

May 3, 2017, 11:32:21 AM5/3/17
to ve...@googlegroups.com
FWIW I've seen quite a few Java projects using https://github.com/eirslett/frontend-maven-plugin recently.

Not sure you would like it if you want to avoid npm (at least you don't need to install node yourself)