vectoroid 0.82 released

Rob Munro

Aug 1, 2012, 1:01:01 PM8/1/12
to vectoroi...@googlegroups.com
Vectoroid 0.82 was released last week and has added SVG functionality - for a full discussion see
http://sentinelweb.co.uk/vectoroid-0-82-released/

best
rob

Pleerock

Oct 8, 2012, 1:13:30 PM10/8/12
to vectoroi...@googlegroups.com
seems good library, but...

  • poor code style
  • no comments and good documentation
  • no good sample apps
  • commercial limits from the beginning of the development

I understand that project is new and is in active development (I hope), it'll be much better if we have more non-Commercial sample applications

because all these limitations and imperfections makes your library hard to explore, understand and use... and it can scare some programmers... and if you'll scare the programmers right from the beginning you can never get big popularity and project may die soon...

But project seems very promising, so I hope you'll accept these notices.

Thank you,
Umed.

siliconeagle

Oct 8, 2012, 4:13:22 PM10/8/12
to vectoroi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks very much for posting this, I have been trying to get feedback for a few months now !!! maybe I can follow up with a few more questions - don't want to scare you off though so just whatever you can say is good.

What do you think of the name? good / bad / indifferent?

What would you say are the things that stand out about the coding style?  I guess it should be obvious but it's always good to hear someone else say it mainly for prioritization. I sort of gone over to making it a JavaScript-y as possible. As it's more fluid.

The lack of getters/setters probably looks unprofessional, but i hate them (bloaty and unnessecary) - I have programmed java for 10 years so always use them in commercial projects because its expected. But I don't really want to use them - it's easy enough to use call-hierarchy.

What sort of sample applications would you like to see?

What sort of licencing would you want to use?
or
What licence would make you feel more comfortable?

The licencing at the moment is just in initial check - but it definitely isn't tracking with devs. Though I'm certainly not interested in producing a free library the people want me to fix for free. So there needs to be a free/paid conversion somewhere. The core-intention for the open source library is that you can re-use the drawings in different ways. This is why documentation/commenting is poor at the moment as The UX on the drawing app need fixing so there are delays delays.. it'll probably make more sense with a better drawing app.

Essentially there is two parts the library:
  • The vector drawing functionality: which is an android view ( closed-source ) - I am looking to partner with people to build apps. And have been building prototypes.
  • Rendering/File Saving functionality (open) (which is turning out be be a mini-java-flash type thing).
The idea is to create apps that can create active drawings or many drawing tasks.

I'm using it for an upcoming release of my podcasting app (MyPOD) for vector drawables and animations, help, whatever else i can think of. Thought there are some unpublished changes to push.

And it's awesome, no copying / exporting / endless resizing of bitmaps. It goes directly from inkscape into the app.

Obviously I am a bit over-exposed/invested to my own creation, but don't worry there is no chance of it dying as I'll be using it for my own stuff at least ... there is still a way to go though. There's a new website on the way too.

Thanks again for the feedback.

best,
rob

Pleerock

Oct 10, 2012, 7:23:34 AM10/10/12
to vectoroi...@googlegroups.com
1. about the name:
I think the name is good

2. about codding style:
maybe Im too nagging but such as there is NO full documentation I have to learn your api by reading your code. And some parts of your code are hard-readable. For example

Ive just copy first "strange parts" of code Ive faced with:

case PRESERVE_ASPECT:tgt.size.set(size.x*(float)t.scaleValue,size.y*(float)t.scaleValue);break;

not enough indentations;

public   void draw(){
//  gl.glPushMatrix();
//  gl.glBegin(GL.GL_QUADS);
//   gl.glCallList(this.listId);
//  gl.glEnd();
//  gl.glPopMatrix();
 }
so much such "fully" commented functions. Why do we need them?

4. about javascript and using getters/ setters please dont make it look like javascript. Java is object oriented and code should be serious object oriented. Javascript solves more trivial questions.

Getters / setters maybe unnecessary, but if you design good api they should be part of your system. Because if you dont use them then you break the encapsulation. But I have not something to say about api architecture bacause I didnt learn all your code

5. i think MOST IMPORTANT what you should do are DOCUMENTATION AND SAMPLES

Nobody will use api without good documentation. Because its really hard. You need to write Javadoc and tutorials. I know making documentation is annoying, but they are necessarily. At least you have to make samples how to use your api. not just how to load them from xml or json, but also how to resize, change, add new shapes, and text, change text and so.

I think good point to start is samples, then documentation, then code improvements

siliconeagle

Oct 12, 2012, 12:41:44 AM10/12/12
to vectoroi...@googlegroups.com
The opengl stuf is copied for another project - i just left it there as the plan is to write an OpenGL based renderer for it one day. it just there to remind myself when i get around to it.

I did make a getting started page - the plan is to make more docs. There will be quite a lot more need though. I will try and knock up a few pages soon.

Point taken that you have to go to the code since there isnt enough docs. That's frustrating.. I will try and knock up a few pages & examples soon.

thanks very much for the input ... if there anything else just post it.

best
rob