BASA FISH - HEALTH ADVISORY

Roe Yer Boat

Sep 29, 2009, 11:56:01 PM9/29/09
BASA FISH

PLEASE SEE INFORMATION BELOW.

This is important nutritional news for you and your family,

Many are snatching up the fish at supermarkets as they are very cheap.

The fish looks good but read the article and you will be shocked.

This product is from Vietnam.

Do you eat this frozen fish called BASA? ( Pangasius, Vietnamese River
Cobbler, White Catfish, Gray Sole )

Industrially farmed in Vietnam along the Mekong River, BASA or Pangas or
whatever they're calling it, has only been recently introduced to the French
market. However, in a very short amount of time, it has grown in popularity
in France. They are very, very affordable (cheap), are sold in filets with
no bones and they have a neutral flavor and texture; many would compare it
to cod and sole, only much cheaper. But as tasty as some people may find it,
there's, in fact, something hugely unsavory about it. I hope the information
provided here will serve as very important information for you and your
future choices. Here's why it is better left in the shops and not on your
dinner plates:

1. BASAS or Pangas are teeming with high levels of poisons and bacteria.
(industrial effluents, arsenic, and toxic and hazardous by-products of the
growing industrial sector, polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), DDT and its
metabolites (DDTs), metal contaminants, chlordane-related compounds (CHLs),
hexachlorocyclohexane isomers (HCHs), and hexachlorobenzene (HCB) ).

The reason is that the Mekong River is one of the most polluted rivers on
the planet and this is where basa/pangas are farmed and industries along the
river dump chemicals and industrial waste directly into it. Avoid eating
them because they contain high amounts of contamination. Regardless of
Reports and recommendations against selling them, supermarkets still sell
them, knowing full well that they are contaminated.

2. They freeze Basa/Pangas in contaminated river water.

3. BASA/Pangas are raised in Vietnam . Pangas are fed food that comes from
Peru ( more on that below ), their hormones ( which are injected into the
female Pangas ) come from China . ( More about that below ) and finally,
they are transported from Vietnam to other countries .

4. There's nothing natural about Basa/Pangas - They're fed dead fish
remnants and bones, dried and ground into a flour (from South America),
manioc ( cassava ) and residue from soy and grains. This kind of nourishment
doesn't even remotely resemble what they eat in nature. But what it does
resemble is the method of feeding mad cows ( cows were fed cows,
remember? ). What they feed basa/pangas is completely unregulated so there
are most likely other dangerous substances and hormones thrown into the mix.
The basa/pangas grow 4 times faster than in nature, so it makes you wonder
what exactly is in their food? Your guess is as good as mine.

5. Basa/Pangas are injected with Hormones Derived from Urine. They inject
female Basa/Pangas with hormones made from the dehydrated urine of pregnant
women, the female Pangas grow much quicker and produce eggs faster ( one
Basa/Panga can lay approximately 500,000 eggs at one time ). Essentially,
they're injecting fish with hormones ( they come all of the way from a
pharmaceutical company in China ) to speed up the process of growth and
reproduction. That isn't good. And also consider the rest of the reasons to
NOT eat BASA.

6. You get what you pay for - and then some. Don't be lured in by insanely
cheap price of Basa/Pangas. Is it worth risking your health and the health
of your family?

7. Buying Basa/Pangas supports unscrupulous, greedy corporations and food
conglomerates that don't care about the health and well-being of human
beings. They are only concerned about selling as many basa/pangas as
possible to unsuspecting consumers. These corporations only care about
making more money at whatever cost to the public..

8. Basa/Pangas WILL make you sick - If you don't get ill with vomiting,
diarrhea and effects from severe food poisoning, congratulations, you have
an iron stomach! But you're still ingesting POISON not "poisson".

Final important note: Because of the prodigious amount of availability of
Basa/Pangas, be warned that they will certainly find their way into other
foods like imitation crab sticks, fish sticks, fish terrines, and probably
in some pet food too. Just check the Ingredient List to see if Basa is one
of the ingredients. Good Luck.

You have been warned !!!

USENET

Sep 30, 2009, 9:33:31 PM9/30/09
Report not abuse
On Sep 29, 8:56 pm, "Roe Yer Boat" <f...@fidh.com> wrote:
> [...]

> Peru ( more on that below ), their hormones ( which are injected into the
> female Pangas ) come from China . ( More about that below ) and finally,
> they are transported from Vietnam to other countries .
>
> 4. There's nothing natural about Basa/Pangas - They're fed dead fish
> remnants and bones, dried and ground into a flour (from South America),
> manioc ( cassava ) and residue from soy and grains. This kind of nourishment
> doesn't even remotely resemble what they eat in nature. But what it does
> resemble is the method of feeding mad cows ( cows were fed cows,
> remember? ). What they feed basa/pangas is completely unregulated so there
> are most likely other dangerous substances and hormones thrown into the mix.
> The basa/pangas grow 4 times faster than in nature, so it makes you wonder
> what exactly is in their food? Your guess is as good as mine.

I eat Basa filets on a regular basis and find them yummy. No ill
health effects.

Roe Yer Boat

Oct 1, 2009, 5:22:42 AM10/1/09
> BASA FISH
>
> PLEASE SEE INFORMATION BELOW.
>
> This is important nutritional news for you and your family,
>
> Many are snatching up the fish at supermarkets as they are very cheap.
>
> The fish looks good but read the article and you will be shocked.
>
> This product is from Vietnam.
>
> Do you eat this frozen fish called BASA? ( Pangasius, Vietnamese River
> Cobbler, White Catfish, Gray Sole )
>
> You have been warned !!!

<< I eat Basa filets on a regular basis and find them yummy. No ill
health effects. >>

The star of "Supersize Me" ate McDonald's Fast Food on a regular basis and
found it quite yummy as well.

The "no ill health effects" you speak of is because there is not enough
heavy metal in one, two or 10 BASA fillets to provoke overt symptoms. When
they do an autopsy on your liver, arteries or brain tissue 10, 20, 30 years
down the road, your surivors may be shocked. Also your quality of life will
gradually deteriorate and can be written off as "allergies", "immune
deficiency" etc.

Bottom line is, it's your body & your life. Treat it as you understand its
value to you.

filome...@yahoo.es

Nov 18, 2009, 7:10:31 PM11/18/09

Sabias palabras de "Roe Yer Boat"

hannahis...@gmail.com

Oct 17, 2012, 4:14:48 AM10/17/12
Report not abuse
I am like... SO SCARED! I suffer hypochondria (I am 14) and I ate 2.5 fillets! Will I die!!?!?!?!?! Please reply to me at h.s...@scientist.com

mohdim...@gmail.com

Apr 5, 2013, 3:10:25 PM4/5/13
Report not abuse
I just ate one fillet, and it nowhere taste like a normal fish.

adeniek...@gmail.com

Jan 14, 2014, 4:47:23 PM1/14/14
Report not abuse
This article really alarmed me... Then I read this. http://www.seafoodimporters.com.au/news.item.php?pid=62 I think we're okay

kensu...@gmail.com

Jan 20, 2014, 3:19:54 AM1/20/14
Report not abuse
ATTENTION: "Roe Yer Boat"

You've provided absolutely "no" source and "no" evidence corroborating your negative assertions about Basa/Pangas fish raised practices in Asia. Why not?????????

Perhaps you have an ulterior motive for trashing the reputation of this widely distributed/marketed/consumed/inexpensive fish? Do you work or have you investment interests in one/more competing seafood operations that would benefit from the world boycotting Basa/Pangas?

Australian authorities highly recommend the consumption of it and further, endorse Vietnam's fish farming practices.

Please reply "Roe Yer Boat."

KW

hol...@gmail.com

Jan 26, 2014, 3:43:17 AM1/26/14
Report not abuse

hol...@gmail.com

Jan 26, 2014, 3:46:02 AM1/26/14
Report not abuse
Thx so much for this info it is so important

bvrrd...@hotmail.com

Feb 8, 2014, 11:19:32 AM2/8/14
Report not abuse
Had a good feed, yesterday..2 fillets battered with chips. Very tastey...I prefer GOOD cod not Capt highway mans . Have more fillets ready to go.

Please provide scientific evidence to substantiate your outrageous claims. Cheers.

holycra...@gmail.com

Feb 8, 2014, 1:41:00 PM2/8/14
Report not abuse

kimm...@gmail.com

Apr 2, 2014, 10:21:28 AM4/2/14
Report not abuse
Any studies, witnesses, photographs or any evidence what so ever to support all this?

Australian importers association and Vancouver authorities are confident that Basa from Mekong is good :)

rhur...@gmail.com

Jun 17, 2014, 3:53:24 PM6/17/14
Report not abuse
On Tuesday, September 29, 2009 11:56:01 PM UTC-4, Roe Yer Boat wrote:
Don't you think that if there where any REAL heath concerns that they would NOT be allowed to be sold in the North American Market!
I have worked with the Canadian Food Agency and if there where any of the toxins and bacteria in these fish as claimed by Roe Your Boat they would NOT be allowed to be sold. I'm afraid this is a case of a person fear mongering in order to stop us from eating imported fish pure and simple.

rup...@gmail.com

Jun 29, 2014, 11:06:35 AM6/29/14
Report not abuse
I've Got a very bad bout of gout attack, and not getting relief for the past 10 days, 100 gms of basa contains 30 gms of proteins.

ravii...@gmail.com

Jul 27, 2014, 8:50:51 AM7/27/14
Report not abuse
Hi I had basa fillet 150 grams I deep fryed fish after 1 hr eat fish I feel upset stomach and burning in stomach I am not going to have basa again

katherin...@gmail.com

Aug 16, 2014, 7:06:44 AM8/16/14
Report not abuse
On Wednesday, September 30, 2009 4:56:01 AM UTC+1, Roe Yer Boat wrote:
> BASA FISH
>

> PLEASE SEE INFORMATION BELOW.
>
> This is important nutritional news for you and your family,
>
> Many are snatching up the fish at supermarkets as they are very cheap.
>
> The fish looks good but read the article and
> This product is from Vietnam.
>
> Do you eat this frozen fish called BASA? ( Pangasius, Vietnamese River
> Cobbler, White Catfish, Gray Sole )

> Industrially farmed in Vietnam along the Mekong River, BASA or Pangas or
> whatever they're calling it, has only been recently introduced to the French
> market. However, in a very short amount of time, it has grown
> possible to unsuspecting consumers. These corporations only care about
> making more money at whatever cost to the public..
>
> 8. Basa/Pangas WILL make you sick - If you don't get ill with vomiting,
> diarrhea and effects from severe food poisoning, congratulations, you have
> an iron stomach! But you're still ingesting POISON not "poisson"
>
> Final important note: Because of the prodigious amount of availability of
> Basa/Pangas, be warned that they will certainly find their way into other
> foods like imitation crab sticks, fish sticks, fish terrines, and probably
> in some pet food too. Just check the Ingredient List to see if Basa is one
> of the ingredients. Good Luck.
>

> You have been warned !!!

i had this fish on two different occasions and both times with in a hour i was sick and it wasnt very pleasent i will not be eaten it again now i have read this.x

honor....@gmail.com

Feb 13, 2015, 11:55:03 AM2/13/15
Report not abuse
Why are we exposed to such a dangerous fish. I thought everything should go through a rigorous testing before going on sale to the general public in this country.

Greg Carr

Feb 13, 2015, 6:47:24 PM2/13/15
Report not abuse
On Friday, February 13, 2015 at 8:55:03 AM UTC-8, honor....@gmail.com wrote:
> Why are we exposed to such a dangerous fish. I thought everything should go through a rigorous testing before going on sale to the general public in this country.

I just spent 6.5 hours unloading 10 pound boxes of Basa Filets from Vietnam. I prefer salmon or halibut but Basa is ok. Doesn't the govt test all fish that comes into the country.

ilaya7...@gmail.com

Sep 22, 2015, 12:06:59 PM9/22/15
Report not abuse
Nishanthiniseafood@gmail

ljenner...@gmail.com

Feb 3, 2016, 3:29:50 PM2/3/16
Report not abuse
Hear hear!

joanneb...@gmail.com

Jan 16, 2017, 5:16:46 PM1/16/17
Report not abuse
Relax, Check out this post from the Environmental Defence Found. It claims that the level of mercury is low enough for you to consume more than 4 times a month of this fish.
http://seafood.edf.org/seafood-health-alerts

Greg Carr

Jan 17, 2017, 5:59:29 AM1/17/17
Report not abuse
What is with this thread? It has been re-occurring since 2009. Eat salmon or tuna I do quite a bit. Had tiger prawns tonight at the Heritage Grill on Columbia in New West. Have eaten Basa in the past and my blood work shows no problems. Cod is also quite good.