Fw: [cwops] 3D printed key and sounder

David Tanks

Mar 28, 2019, 9:17:58 PM3/28/19
to Valleyhams
Interesting! 3D Printed Key and Sounder.

73, David AD4TJ

Mar 28, 2019, 9:46:34 PM3/28/19
to David Tanks, Valleyhams
Very cool indeed, David.

What it made me think of was the difference between Morse as heard on a sounder vs. Morse as heard on radio. I'm an avid CW op, but I seem to be totally limited to the tones we hear on the air. A few times I've heard code sent on the clicks of a sounder and I simply could not make heads or tails of it.  I know landline Morse was slightly different from International Morse but that wasn't the problem. I just couldn't seem to distinguish dits from dahs.

Anyone else have a different experience?

Ray K2HYD

Please do not send jokes and junk e-mail on this list - Let's use it for our various hobbies, public service, communications and any good useful information for our hobbies and Events.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Valley Hams" group.

Bob VanFossen

Mar 29, 2019, 6:46:29 AM3/29/19
to Ray Albers, David Tanks, Valleyhams

Ray, if you listen closely to the sounder, there is a difference in the sound of the dits and dahs.  The dah sound is more of a ‘clunk’ where as the dit is a ‘click’.  If you have a text print out of what is being sent, the sound becomes apparent as you listen while reading the print.  I have not tried to learn the American Morse.

Some years ago, at Field Day on the mountain, I had a demo of what I just described.

Bob, K4DJG

.

Butch Washer

Mar 29, 2019, 8:13:41 AM3/29/19
to Ray Albers, David Tanks, Valleyhams
My father in law was a telegrapher for the Illinois Central Railroad back in his younger years and had (I have now) a bug and sounder, with the Prince Albert tobacco can on it for the proper sound. He always talked about the difference between the dots and dashes of radio Morse Code and the Clocks and Pauses and the character layout of the Telegraph Code. I haven’t searched the difference yet, but it was always good conversation.
73,
Butch N5SMQ

Sent from my iPhone

Bob McCracken

Mar 29, 2019, 9:16:51 AM3/29/19
to David Tanks, Ray Albers, Valleyhams
Wow, thanks for sharing, new technology reviving the past is pretty cool.
I attached a pic of the J.H.Bunnel sounder/sender I have hanging in the garage.
The straight key is new. I'm still looking for the period key to go with it.

Also looking forward to when the 3D "tubes" will be printed EmojiEmoji

Happy Friday
Bob
N4JGO

bunnel.jpg