Does abt.exe have a stdout?

Richard Sargent

May 21, 2019, 6:43:42 PM5/21/19
to VA Smalltalk
When we run abt.exe, it opens the Transcript (at least). But, does the running abt.exe have a stdout and stderr that could be caught and redirected by the command line used to start it?

I am aware of the -l ("ell") command line option. The documentation doesn't read like it is a real stdout.
I am also aware of the OSCall>>#allocConsole method. That may be useful in some scenarios, but redirection to a file is still an issue.

Thanks, Seth, for answering this. :-)

Seth Berman

May 22, 2019, 9:47:47 AM5/22/19
to VA Smalltalk
Hi Richard,

I don't know off the top of my head.
When I get some time, I will research this issue and let you know what I find out.

- Seth

Mariano Martinez Peck

May 23, 2019, 7:44:50 AM5/23/19
to VA Smalltalk
On Tue, May 21, 2019 at 7:43 PM Richard Sargent <richard...@gemtalksystems.com> wrote:
When we run abt.exe, it opens the Transcript (at least). But, does the running abt.exe have a stdout and stderr that could be caught and redirected by the command line used to start it?

You confused me hahhaha. You are talking about Windows concept abt.exe  and Unix concepts (stdout/stderr).

I am aware of the -l ("ell") command line option. The documentation doesn't read like it is a real stdout.

says:

On UNIX systems, use redirection of stdout and stderr instead of –l. For example, use > ESVMLOG 2>&1 to log to file ESVMLOG.

So... all you would need to do is:

TranscriptTTY default show: 'foo'.

But notice that you must use TranscriptTTY and not plain Transcript.

Does this help?

--
Mariano Martinez Peck
Software Engineer, Instantiations Inc.

Richard Sargent

May 23, 2019, 11:27:03 AM5/23/19
to VA Smalltalk
On Thu, May 23, 2019 at 4:44 AM 'Mariano Martinez Peck' via VA Smalltalk <va-sma...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

On Tue, May 21, 2019 at 7:43 PM Richard Sargent <richard...@gemtalksystems.com> wrote:
When we run abt.exe, it opens the Transcript (at least). But, does the running abt.exe have a stdout and stderr that could be caught and redirected by the command line used to start it?

You confused me hahhaha. You are talking about Windows concept abt.exe  and Unix concepts (stdout/stderr).

Windows also has stdout and stderr. It's just that GUI applications tend to make no use of them.

I am aware of the -l ("ell") command line option. The documentation doesn't read like it is a real stdout.

says:

On UNIX systems, use redirection of stdout and stderr instead of –l. For example, use > ESVMLOG 2>&1 to log to file ESVMLOG.

So... all you would need to do is:

TranscriptTTY default show: 'foo'.

Yes. TranscriptTTY is a "kind of" stdout. Perhaps it really does use stdout. It's not documented as such.

But notice that you must use TranscriptTTY and not plain Transcript.

Does this help?

But, if I call a C library and it writes to stdout, where will it go?

--
Mariano Martinez Peck
Software Engineer, Instantiations Inc.

Mariano Martinez Peck

Jun 4, 2019, 9:53:06 AM6/4/19
to VA Smalltalk
On Thu, May 23, 2019 at 12:27 PM Richard Sargent <richard...@gemtalksystems.com> wrote:
On Thu, May 23, 2019 at 4:44 AM 'Mariano Martinez Peck' via VA Smalltalk <va-sma...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

On Tue, May 21, 2019 at 7:43 PM Richard Sargent <richard...@gemtalksystems.com> wrote:
When we run abt.exe, it opens the Transcript (at least). But, does the running abt.exe have a stdout and stderr that could be caught and redirected by the command line used to start it?

You confused me hahhaha. You are talking about Windows concept abt.exe  and Unix concepts (stdout/stderr).

Windows also has stdout and stderr. It's just that GUI applications tend to make no use of them.

Hi Richard, good to know. I learnt something today :)

But notice that you must use TranscriptTTY and not plain Transcript.

Does this help?

But, if I call a C library and it writes to stdout, where will it go?

Good question. I really don't have the answer at hand. I guess I would write a simple C lib that outputs to stdout and then make a FFI call from VAST to see what happens.

Cheers,