[8.5.2] Client Installation on openSuSE 12.2 32 bit

jtu...@objektfabrik.de

Nov 20, 2012, 10:28:28 AM11/20/12
to va-sma...@googlegroups.com
I can't install on openSuSE 32 bit. ./setup starts and creates the /usr/local/VASmalltalk/8.5 folder but then finishes.

Here's what it logs to /tmp/vastInstall-output:

--------------------------
VA Smalltalk, Version 8.5.2
VM Timestamp: 4.0,(NC) 8/7/2012 (84)
(C) Copyright Instantiations 1994, 2012.  All rights reserved.
(C) Copyright International Business Machines Corp. 1994, 2006.  All rights reserved.
Virtual Machine PID: 3908
Commandline args {
 -mcd
 -no_break
 -isetup.icx
 -z.us./home/joachim/Downloads/cd_c
 }

VM Options {
  }
Xlib: No protocol specified

ERROR: Failed to open default display - exiting.

------------------------------

I've tried as root in Gnome and IceWM. No success so far. I guess I am missing a little detail, but can't find it.

I had no trouble installing 8.5.2 on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 32 bit, but wanted to see if my problems calling a lib would be any different on openSuSE...

So what do I have to do before installation?

Thanks,

Joachim

jtu...@objektfabrik.de

Nov 20, 2012, 11:15:16 AM11/20/12
to va-sma...@googlegroups.com
Same problem with KDE.

Seth Berman

Nov 20, 2012, 11:38:14 AM11/20/12
to va-sma...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joachim,

So did you login as user joachim and running something like 'sudo ./setup'
Or did you drop to a root shell first (I.e. su) and then try to run ./setup
Or did you log into, and therefore start X, as root and then run ./setup?

Can you run a standard x program from the command line, like xclock, or do you get the same error?

jtu...@objektfabrik.de

Nov 20, 2012, 12:57:11 PM11/20/12
to va-sma...@googlegroups.com
Hi Seth,

I've tried
logging (Gnome, IceWM, and KDE) as normal user, starting a terminal, su -  and ./setup &
logging into Gnome as root, starting a terminal, ./setup &

Since it is a clean standard installation of openSuSE, it is configured to automatically start X / Gnome / KDE, so I didn't try your third alternative.

xclock started from a terminal (xclock &) as normal user runs without any problems.

Joachim

Seth Berman

Nov 20, 2012, 1:55:21 PM11/20/12
to va-sma...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joachim,

The normal install method seems to work on OpenSuse 12.1 32-bit, so I don't know what has changed.  I'm pulling it down and will let you know what I find.
In the meantime, I suspect the x access control is prohibiting a connection.  You can try the following to confirm my suspicion.

Start as the user you logged in as (i.e. joachim) and from a console try:
>xhost +                                           //<--- Disable X access control for just a moment
>su -
>./setup
..
..
>xhost -                                              //<--Turn access control back on

Did this work?  If not, I'm checking it out

-- Seth

John O'Keefe

Nov 20, 2012, 2:13:49 PM11/20/12
to va-sma...@googlegroups.com
Joachim -

I have the following notes written down for OpenSUSE 12.1:

To get display working, execute these commands (xhost + doesn't work):
 xhost local:root
 xhost local:<your userid>

This came from a mailing list whose name I don't remember -- found it some time ago with Google.

John

jtu...@objektfabrik.de

Nov 20, 2012, 2:54:43 PM11/20/12
to va-sma...@googlegroups.com
Seth, John,

I could start the setup program with the tweaks suggested by John.

Thanks a lot.

Joachim

jtu...@objektfabrik.de

Nov 20, 2012, 2:58:31 PM11/20/12
to va-sma...@googlegroups.com
Seth,

Even though it works, 'xhost +' may be a bot more than you'd like to do. This is what it answers:
access control disabled, clients can connect from any host

My installation of openSuSE 12.1 was absolutely fresh, I downloaded and installed it just to test if I could get rid of my library call problems that I've posted about in another thread.

I am really happy I could install now, thank you very much!

Joachim

Seth Berman

Nov 20, 2012, 3:02:33 PM11/20/12
to va-sma...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joachim,

Yes, you most definitely do not want to use 'xhost +' as a final solution...it was just to test the theory.
Glad it's working for you

- Seth