32-bit powerpc -- a lost cause?

Håvard Eidnes

Jul 24, 2017, 1:39:13 PM7/24/17
to v8-users
Hi,

I stumbled in on v8 via node.js -- v8 now appears to have some powerpc
support, and I managed to get node.js to link on my NetBSD/macppc 8.0_BETA
system after some persuasion.  However, it dumps core with illegal instruction
on the first attempt at running "node", and by the looks of it that's because there's
used some powerpc64-only instructions (fctidz  f13,f13).

Is this the result of a deliberate decision not to support 32-bit powerpc?
Or, in other words, even if the "ppc64-only instructions" issue could be solved,
would there be other and more serious issues lurking further ahead making progress
difficult or impossible?

Any hints would be much appreciated.

Best regards,

- Håvard

Benedikt Meurer

Jul 27, 2017, 12:28:50 AM7/27/17
to v8-users
Hey Håvard,

The ppc port is not maintained by the V8 team itself, but by IBM (see src/ppc/OWNERS). I don't know about the state and scope of the port. Maybe you want to reach out to the port owners.

-- Benedikt

Håvard Eidnes

Jul 27, 2017, 7:32:07 AM7/27/17
to v8-users
torsdag 27. juli 2017 06.28.50 UTC+2 skrev Benedikt Meurer følgende:
The ppc port is not maintained by the V8 team itself, but by IBM (see src/ppc/OWNERS). I don't know about the state and scope of the port. Maybe you want to reach out to the port owners.

Ah.  I'm new in these quarters.  Thanks for the pointer, I may do just that.

Best regards,

- Håvard

Michael Hablich

Jul 27, 2017, 7:38:57 AM7/27/17
to v8-users, v8-ppc...@googlegroups.com
The PPC port team (v8-ppc...@googlegroups.com) is currently working on getting PPC work again on V8 master. You don't need to contact them individually.

Cheers,
Michael

Daniel Clifford

Jul 27, 2017, 7:49:24 AM7/27/17
to v8-u...@googlegroups.com, v8-ppc...@googlegroups.com
After exchanging emails with the PPC folks separately, they said they are already aware of this thread and indicated they are planning to reply to it.

Regards,
Danno

bjai...@ca.ibm.com

Jul 27, 2017, 6:10:42 PM7/27/17
to v8-users, v8-ppc...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

We currently do not support PPC 32bit hardware and going forward with Node8 will be dropping support for PPC 32bit mode builds on PPC 64bit architecture. Also, it is possible the 32 bit PPC system you are using is only implementing a subset of the architecture and missing FPU.

Regards,
Jaideep
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to v8-users+u...@googlegroups.com.

Håvard Eidnes

Aug 1, 2017, 10:40:31 AM8/1/17
to v8-users, v8-ppc...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

although NetBSD runs on various PPC hardware, some possibly also with no FPU,
my personal interest is in >= G4 (possibly >= G3), which AFAIK means 32-bit but with FPU.
However, reading what you write I get the sense that you're going to drop all 32-bit PPC support?

Regards,

- Håvard

michael_dawson

Aug 2, 2017, 11:44:49 AM8/2/17
to v8-ppc-ports, v8-u...@googlegroups.com, havard...@gmail.com
Based on current priorities, going forward 32 bit is not going to be a priority.  We will not be testing it in v8 or the Node.js repos.