Cross-compile for arm64 (iOS)

Lukas Kollmer

Mar 4, 2017, 11:39:15 AM3/4/17
to v8-users
I'm trying to run v8 on iOS (arm64).

When I build for arm using `make arm64`, no libv8_base.a file is generated and all generated object files (*.o) are actually for x86. How can I cross compile v8 for arm64?

Jakob Kummerow

Mar 4, 2017, 4:13:10 PM3/4/17
to v8-users
See cross-compiling instructions at https://github.com/v8/v8/wiki/Cross-compiling%20for%20ARM

iOS is not supported because Apple doesn't allow non-system apps to JIT-compile code, and V8 relies on JIT compilation.

On Sat, Mar 4, 2017 at 5:39 PM, Lukas Kollmer <lukas....@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm trying to run v8 on iOS (arm64).

When I build for arm using `make arm64`, no libv8_base.a file is generated and all generated object files (*.o) are actually for x86. How can I cross compile v8 for arm64?

Lukas Kollmer

Mar 5, 2017, 3:46:19 AM3/5/17
to v8-u...@googlegroups.com
Thanks!

Is iOS not supported because v8 would not compile for iOS or because it wouldn't be allowed by Apple?
I've seen some screenshots of v8 running on iOS 4 or 5 so running on iOS should be possible in theory.

Shouldn't it be possible to compile v8 with the JIT disabled? LuaJIT runs fine on iOS, with the JIT component disabled.

(I don't plan to submit this to the App Store, btw)

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "v8-users" group.

Lukas Kollmer

Rodolph Perfetta