Is recompilation required for each new iframe?

Adam Rice

Aug 10, 2017, 6:00:56 AM8/10/17
to v8-u...@googlegroups.com
I work on the streams API implementation in Blink (https://cs.chromium.org/chromium/src/third_party/WebKit/Source/core/streams/). This is implemented using V8 extras, meaning it is included in the snapshot but functions are still lazily compiled the first time they are used.

I have been trying to measure the overhead of this compilation, to get an idea if it is significant and to be able to measure the impact of any attempted optimisation.

The method I have been using is to create an iframe, create a stream in the new iframe, and then destroy the iframe and repeat.

I am assuming that every new iframe creates a new v8 context, and all lazy compilation needs to be redone from scratch for each v8 context. Are my assumptions correct?