Is turbofan performance very bad w.r.t Crankshaft?

Yang

Jan 15, 2015, 1:35:55 PM1/15/15
to v8-u...@googlegroups.com
I noticed at http://arewefastyet.com/ that turbofan performance is consistently very bad across the board.
I am wondering if they have been taking old svn as bleeding edge and thus reporting wrong data, or the gap between turbofan and crankshaft is really that much. Any comments?

Flying Jester

Jan 15, 2015, 5:43:15 PM1/15/15
to v8-u...@googlegroups.com
> I am wondering if they have been taking old svn as bleeding edge and thus reporting wrong data, or the gap between turbofan and crankshaft is really that much. Any comments?

That would make sense to me. I have done a lot of work with TurboFan, and I find it MUCH faster than older V8.

Daniel Clifford

Jan 16, 2015, 4:19:39 AM1/16/15
to v8-u...@googlegroups.com
The AWFY "v8-turbofan" graphs don't show very useful data. They are generated from a testing-only configuration that was never indented to be used by embedders. TF is currently configured by default correctly on V8 tip of tree and since V8 4.1, so the plain "v8" graphs already include TurboFan's performance for the use cases where it is triggered.

I'd be amazed if you found TurboFan to be generally faster than "older V8" in any use cases other than asm.js code. TF doesn't yet implement many of the core optimizations that Crankshaft exploits to get "traditional" JavaScript code to run fast, e.g. anything that relies on deoptimization, like speculative type specialization.

Danno

On Thu Jan 15 2015 at 11:43:17 PM Flying Jester <foolki...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am wondering if they have been taking old svn as bleeding edge and thus reporting wrong data, or the gap between turbofan and crankshaft is really that much. Any comments?

That would make sense to me. I have done a lot of work with TurboFan, and I find it MUCH faster than older V8.

Bangfu Tao

Mar 12, 2015, 5:27:37 AM3/12/15
to v8-u...@googlegroups.com
Just wondering if you have any rough schedule when Turbofan will be enabled.

Thanks