Potentially removing global interpreter lock in future?

Isiah Meadows

Jul 13, 2015, 4:25:28 PM7/13/15
to v8-u...@googlegroups.com
Is there any practical way that, in the future, the global interpreter lock in V8 could be removed? I don't see it happening easily in the short term given the massive overhaul in ES2015, but in the long term, it would be really nice to have, and would *really* benefit the Node community (especially) and other embedders that require parallelism in their applications to be accessible from JavaScript.

Aaron Link

Jul 13, 2015, 5:08:13 PM7/13/15
to v8-u...@googlegroups.com, kontiki-orange
The PolyScript team in Search would also be very interested in this.

On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 4:25 PM, Isiah Meadows <impi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is there any practical way that, in the future, the global interpreter lock in V8 could be removed? I don't see it happening easily in the short term given the massive overhaul in ES2015, but in the long term, it would be really nice to have, and would *really* benefit the Node community (especially) and other embedders that require parallelism in their applications to be accessible from JavaScript.

Andreas Rossberg

Jul 14, 2015, 3:37:55 AM7/14/15
to v8-u...@googlegroups.com
On 13 July 2015 at 22:25, Isiah Meadows <impi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is there any practical way that, in the future, the global interpreter lock in V8 could be removed? I don't see it happening easily in the short term given the massive overhaul in ES2015, but in the long term, it would be really nice to have, and would *really* benefit the Node community (especially) and other embedders that require parallelism in their applications to be accessible from JavaScript.

No. Nobody has the intention to allow shared state concurrency into the JavaScript heap.

/Andreas

bradley.meck

Jul 14, 2015, 1:20:21 PM7/14/15
to v8-u...@googlegroups.com