Intent to ship ES6 Array and TypedArray methods

Daniel Ehrenberg

Jun 17, 2015, 7:23:40 PM6/17/15
to v8-u...@googlegroups.com
We intend to ship new functions and methods, added in ES2015, for
Arrays and TypedArrays unflagged. These functions have been gradually
in progress behind the --harmony_arrays flag, with the first functions
added in Chrome 29. We intend to ship the new functions unflagged in
Chrome 45. Firefox added these methods to TypedArrays and Arrays over
the course of versions 25 to 38.

The new TypedArray methods mostly mirror the Array methods, except
with a type check that they are only called on TypedArrays and length
read from an internal slot, rather than the "length" property. There
are some remaining specification compliance issues [1] but we believe
they do not affect web compatibility, and their later fixes will not
be disruptive.

Owners: litt...@chromium.org

[1] https://code.google.com/p/v8/issues/detail?id=4193

Dmitry Lomov

Jun 18, 2015, 4:48:39 AM6/18/15
to v8-users
lgtm

Daniel Ehrenberg

Jun 18, 2015, 6:02:51 PM6/18/15
to v8-u...@googlegroups.com, blink-users
I want to draw out one particular compatibility issue. The toString
method on TypedArrays is redefined here. In accordance with the ES2015
spec, and analogously to Arrays, the behavior is to return the array
elements joined by ",". This may break some tests which depend on
coercing a TypedArray to a String and getting a particular value.
Firefox has not yet made this change, and I don't know if any other
browser has changed this behavior. Let me know if you are aware of any
web compatibility risk.

Dan