No Garbage Collection For Hours

PhistucK

Oct 3, 2015, 11:49:54 AM10/3/15
to v8-users, Chromium-discuss
Sorry for the cross post, I wanted your opinion before I file an issue, because I am not sure where to file it.

I installed Outlook.com notifier and recently, I found out it was using a lot of memory.

Looking into it, it uses YUI to fetch mail.live.com, YUI adds the content to a DocumentFragment, the script looks for an element, gets its content and that is it, every half a minute or so.

Using the Developer Tools feature, I used the Profiler panel, took a heap snapshot, switched to the Containment view and saw that GC roots>Global handles uses over 300 MBs. It basically contains the string content fetched from mail.live.com ever since Chrome was started.

I then went to the TImeline panel and clicked on the trash can button ("Collect garbage"), took another heap snapshot and it went back to about 1 MB.

I think I noticed that when the available memory is low, it does collect the garbage quickly, but it happened when I artificially created 1000 large DocumentFragments, added them to an array and deleted the array.

Should I file a V8 issue, or a Chromium issue?
I figure it is a V8 issue, but I want to make sure, since it does involve extensions (a background page) and DOM operations.

PhistucK

Jochen Eisinger

Oct 5, 2015, 5:52:30 AM10/5/15
to v8-users, Chromium-discuss
it would be interesting to have the output of the extension process when running chromium with --js-flags="--trace-gc --trace-gc-nvp"

Please file a bug with this information on crbug.com/new

PhistucK

Oct 5, 2015, 12:55:50 PM10/5/15
to Jochen Eisinger, v8-users, Chromium-discuss
Sure, but how do I get the output of the extension process? By enabling logging?

PhistucK

Jochen Eisinger

Oct 7, 2015, 9:52:06 AM10/7/15
to PhistucK, v8-users, Chromium-discuss
depends a bit on the OS you run chromium on?

PhistucK

Oct 7, 2015, 10:06:20 AM10/7/15
to Jochen Eisinger, v8-users, Chromium-discuss
Windows 7.

PhistucK

Jochen Eisinger

Oct 9, 2015, 8:56:46 AM10/9/15
to PhistucK, v8-users, Chromium-discuss
tbh, the only way to capture the output on that platform I know of is running chrome in visual studio... I'll ask around to see whether there's a better solution