how to build 5.5 with gn? aka where are the .a files like lib_platform?

Zac Hansen

Oct 5, 2016, 12:44:23 PM10/5/16
to v8-users
I did a fresh checkout of v8 and built it with gn using:

gn gen out.gn/x64.debug --args='is_debug=true  target_cpu="x64" v8_enable_inspector=true v8_use_snapshot=false'

The build completed and I had 4 .dylib files, but no .a files.   When I try to link against just the dylib files, I get:

undefiend symbol:   "v8::platform::CreateDefaultPlatform(int)"

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

--Zac

Girish Balakrishnan

Oct 9, 2016, 6:02:05 AM10/9/16
to v8-users
I had a similar situation. As per the older posts here they have stopped shipping .a files instead you will find .so files. I used the so files to link my hello_world program and got the same error as yours. I guess it is because the v8_libplatform dint compile properly. Do you have library files related to v8_libplatform generated?
Regards,
Girish

Zac Hansen

Oct 9, 2016, 6:03:54 AM10/9/16
to v8-u...@googlegroups.com
I dont' know.  I just did what I said in my first message.  If that didn't do it then I didn't do anything else.

It's quite disturbing no one will respond to such a fundamentally broken repo.

RandomUser

Oct 9, 2016, 7:26:21 PM10/9/16
to v8-users
I'm having the same problem as well. The v8_libplatform.lib is not being generated at all and only their .obj files are being generated.

Michael Achenbach

Oct 10, 2016, 2:55:27 AM10/10/16
to v8-users
Hi!

We track this feature here: http://crbug.com/v8/5435

See also this previous discussion for a way around in the mean time:

Furthermore, GYP is still supported. We will first remove GYP support in V8 when GN satisfies all requirements.

Cheers
Michael