Build issues - How can I build v8 with my system toolchain?

rwy

May 5, 2016, 1:20:49 PM5/5/16
to v8-users
I'm having trouble building v8 on Archlinux x86-64. The clang installed by gclient cannot run on my system.  What is the proper way to configure the build to use my system's toolchain?

The error:

v8/third_party/llvm-build/Release+Asserts/bin/clang++: error while loading shared libraries: libtinfo.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

libtinfo 5 is not available for my system.

Right now I am configuring the build with:

build/gyp_v8 -Dhost_clang=1\
  -Dv8_enable_i18n_support=1 \
  -Duse_system_icu=1 \
  -Dconsole=readline \
  -Dcomponent=shared_library \
  -Dv8_target_arch=x86 \
  -Dwerror=no \
  -Dlinux_use_bundled_gold=0 \
  -Dlinux_use_bundled_binutils=0 \
  -f make

But nothing here seems to be doing the trick, and `make all` will always rerun gyp without the defines. I'll add that node will build fine on my machine.

What is the magical incantation I am missing?
Thanks!
Robert

Jochen Eisinger

May 6, 2016, 2:57:00 AM5/6/16
to v8-users
If you use gyp directly, then you should bypass the top-level Makefile, i.e., run make -C out all

Jakob Kummerow

May 6, 2016, 4:33:39 AM5/6/16
to v8-users
I'd use "make ia32 GYPFLAGS=-Dclang=0", that should then use your system toolchain. Invoking build/gyp_v8 manually should not be necessary (except on Windows, but who uses that for development?).

(The other possible, but infinitely more hacky, solution is to (in the right directory) sudo ln -s libtinfo.so.6 libtinfo.so.5 -- doesn't work in general, but seems to work in this case :-P )

rwy

May 6, 2016, 11:40:48 AM5/6/16
to v8-users
Thanks for the help! Problem solved.
Message has been deleted

Edmund Higham

Dec 12, 2016, 4:49:59 PM12/12/16
to v8-users
make <arch> GYPFLAGS=-Dclang=0

Thanks for your help - this solved the issue for me on x64 :)