ES2015 module support?

Isiah Meadows

Jun 7, 2015, 10:41:52 PM6/7/15
to v8-u...@googlegroups.com
How much of the ES2015 module syntax/semantics are implemented in the bleeding_edge branch? I know that this is definitely the farthest along, with only parsing support for the legacy `module` version in SpiderMonkey and 0% in the rest.

I know a lot of work has already gone in, but I've seen little outside of that one bug in this area. Also, is there any idea if what the import/export hooks will be? Or is that waiting for the WHATWG Loader API to be completed?

Michael Hablich

Jun 10, 2015, 5:13:07 AM6/10/15
to v8-u...@googlegroups.com, Andreas Rossberg
The current, rudimentary implementation is hidden behind the flag '--harmony-modules'. You can check it out yourself.

Andy might give you more information on the roadmap. I have added him to CC.

Andreas Rossberg

Jun 10, 2015, 5:27:34 AM6/10/15
to v8-u...@googlegroups.com, Andreas Rossberg
The tracking bug you link says it all, there isn't much to report beyond that. We are working on it, but it's complicated and still far down the road, partly because even some spec questions like loaders are still in flux. Rest assured that we'll announce when it's done.

/Andreas

Owen Densmore

Jan 7, 2017, 5:18:20 PM1/7/17
to v8-users
Are we any closer at this point? I'm seeing devs give up and revert to prior chaos. Maybe a flag to enable something?

Michael Hablich

Jan 9, 2017, 5:52:11 AM1/9/17
to v8-users
There is already a flag: --harmony-modules. As you can see in the tracking bug, there is a lot of development work going on. The feature also needs support in the embedders to work correctly, which was/is unspecified currently.

Owen Densmore

Jan 9, 2017, 1:25:29 PM1/9/17
to v8-users
Thanks! So the flag is not a chrome://flags but rather a browser startup flag? How would I start up a version of chrome or canary on a mac using this flag? Thanks!

Adam Klein

Jan 9, 2017, 3:19:06 PM1/9/17
to v8-users
Hi Owen,

I meant to respond to your email to blink-dev last month, but the holidays conspired to keep me from giving a reasonable status update there. The short story is that there is work well underway to get modules working in Chromium; we have a prototype patch that now needs to be split into pieces for landing. Starring https://crbug.com/594639 is your best bet on keeping track of this work in progress.

- Adam

Owen Densmore

Jan 10, 2017, 11:50:36 AM1/10/17
to v8-u...@googlegroups.com