V8 to cease GYP support by the end of 2017

Yang Guo

Apr 27, 2017, 10:07:03 AM4/27/17
to v8-...@googlegroups.com, v8-users

As many of you may know, V8 has historically used GYP as its build system. This however has changed over the course of the past year. V8 has followed Chromium in adopting GN as a replacement. By the end of 2016, V8's build configurations had been completely migrated to use GN. Since then the V8 team has been diligently maintaining GYP configurations as well, so currently most configurations of V8 can be built with both GYP and GN, although the latter is recommended.

Moving forward, GN will be the primary build tool for V8. In order to avoid unnecessary complexity of maintaining and testing two build systems, many improvements to the build system and new build options are no longer going to be ported to GYP. At the end of 2017 the V8 team will cease direct support for GYP.

We are aware that many projects that embed V8 have adopted GYP as their build system and will be affected by this step. This fact played a huge role when we weighed our options, and we had extensive internal and external discussions about possible migration paths.

Over the next few months, we will develop a helper-level wrapper script to act as a bridge from GYP to GN, so that the GYP build target for V8 can optionally be delegated to GN.

By the end of the year, this option will become the default. The legacy GYP configuration will be completely removed from the V8 code base. Embedders that depend on V8's GYP build target will need to set up their environment to ensure the helper script can use GN.

Embedders that require GYP, for example to build for platforms not yet supported by GN, may fork V8's legacy GYP configurations before they are removed from V8. Note that these GYP configurations need to be updated every time V8 is upgraded to a newer version to reflect changes to the build system.

For some more background, please take a look at this case study with Node.js. If you have questions, please reach out!

Best Regards,

Yang Guo

--

 •  Yang Guo
 •  Google Germany GmbH

Geschäftsführer: Matthew Scott Sucherman, Paul Terence Manicle

Registergericht und -nummer: Hamburg, HRB 86891 Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg

Diese E-Mail ist vertraulich. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind, leiten Sie diese bitte nicht weiter, informieren Sie den Absender und löschen Sie die E-Mail und alle Anhänge. Vielen Dank. This e-mail is confidential. If you are not the right addressee please do not forward it, please inform the sender, and please erase this e-mail including any attachments. Thanks.

clearsc...@gmail.com

Jan 10, 2018, 1:08:39 PM1/10/18
to v8-users
Yang, can you share an update?

Is the GYP-to-GN bridge available? Is real GYP still supported in specific V8 versions?

We were able to build the 6.4 branch tip on Windows using our existing GYP-based script with Visual Studio 2017. Do you know whether that's likely to continue working in 6.5 and beyond?

Thanks in advance!

Yang Guo

Jan 19, 2018, 7:56:23 AM1/19/18
to v8-users
The GYP-to-GN bridge is available.

Simply follow these instructions to test. We are planning to remove GYP support some time this quarter. Projects depending on GYP support may maintain GYP configs on their own.

V8 6.5 will still work with GYP. But I would not make this assumption for 6.6.

Cheers,

Yang