depot_tools fails to fetch V8 on Windows

Bit Cortex

Nov 20, 2015, 8:37:46 AM11/20/15
to v8-users
V8 experts,

Until recently I've been able to use a very simple procedure to build V8 on Windows:

1. Clone v8 and check out the required tag
2. Clone gyp and cygwin into build\gyp and third_party\cygwin respectively
3. Run gyp to generate the VS project (without i18n support)
4. Run msbuild to build V8

This procedure worked perfectly up to and including V8 4.7. As of V8 4.8 it no longer works; gyp now complains that it needs depot_tools.

So now I'm trying to follow the official procedure for fetching and building V8 (https://github.com/v8/v8/wiki/Using%20Git).

The initial gclient succeeds, but then the fetch fails:

C:\Code>fetch v8
Running: 'C:\Code\depot_tools\python276_bin\python.exe' 'C:\Code\depot_tools\gclient.py' root
Running: 'C:\Code\depot_tools\python276_bin\python.exe' 'C:\Code\depot_tools\gclient.py' config --spec 'solutions = [
  {
    "managed": False,
    "name": "v8",
    "custom_deps": {},
    "deps_file": "DEPS",
    "safesync_url": "",
  },
]
'
Running: 'C:\Code\depot_tools\python276_bin\python.exe' 'C:\Code\depot_tools\gclient.py' sync --with_branch_heads
Error: Command 'C:\\Code\\depot_tools\\python276_bin\\python.exe v8/build/landmines.py' returned non-zero exit status 1 in C:\Code
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Code\depot_tools\\fetch.py", line 345, in <module>
    sys.exit(main())
  File "C:\Code\depot_tools\\fetch.py", line 340, in main
    return run(options, spec, root)
  File "C:\Code\depot_tools\\fetch.py", line 334, in run
    return checkout.init()
  File "C:\Code\depot_tools\\fetch.py", line 142, in init
    self.run_gclient(*sync_cmd)
  File "C:\Code\depot_tools\\fetch.py", line 76, in run_gclient
    return self.run(cmd_prefix + cmd, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Code\depot_tools\\fetch.py", line 66, in run
    return subprocess.check_output(cmd, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Code\depot_tools\python276_bin\lib\subprocess.py", line 573, in check_output
    raise CalledProcessError(retcode, cmd, output=output)
subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command '('C:\\Code\\depot_tools\\python276_bin\\python.exe', 'C:\\Code\\depot_tools\\gclient.py', 'sync', '--with_branch_heads')' returned non-zero exit status 2

Can someone help? Thanks!

vaugham hong

Nov 24, 2015, 8:07:41 PM11/24/15
to v8-users
I can also confirm that this problem exists as of yesterday. Any updates would be great. In the meantime, I'm going to take a quick look to see if there is anything obvious.

Zyr Ius

Dec 20, 2015, 1:37:22 PM12/20/15
to v8-users
For two upcoming projects I've been wanting to implement the V8 JavaScript engine as the primary scripting engine. I had already built the binaries of an outdated version, but now I'm experiencing this exact same error as well.
Currently just trying to ignore the errors and see where it leads me, although I do not have high hopes.

Jochen Eisinger

Dec 21, 2015, 7:49:56 AM12/21/15
to v8-users
hey,

does the documented way work for you: install depot_tools, put it into your path, and use "fetch v8" to checkout v8?

best
-jochen

On Sun, Dec 20, 2015 at 7:37 PM Zyr Ius <beece...@gmail.com> wrote:
For two upcoming projects I've been wanting to implement the V8 JavaScript engine as the primary scripting engine. I had already built the binaries of an outdated version, but now I'm experiencing this exact same error as well.
Currently just trying to ignore the errors and see where it leads me, although I do not have high hopes.

Maxime Marousez

Dec 22, 2015, 8:21:13 AM12/22/15
to v8-users
Hey,

i have exactly the same problem,
i install depot tools and when i "fetch v8", i have the same return.

Someone has the solution ?

Maxime Marousez

Dec 22, 2015, 8:43:22 AM12/22/15
to v8-users
set DEPOT_TOOLS_WIN_TOOLCHAIN=0 before fetch v8 resolve this

Jane Chen

Dec 22, 2015, 1:15:01 PM12/22/15
to v8-users
It's intermittent for me somehow in cygwin.  Even after I set DEPOT_TOOLS_WIN_TOOLCHAIN=0.  But what worked for me is to run "fetch v8" in Windows PowerShell. Still a mystery...

Bit Cortex

Dec 23, 2015, 7:43:36 AM12/23/15
to v8-users
I couldn't get it to work even with the environment variable.

However, with the environment variable set, gyp doesn't complain about depot_tools, and I can build V8 4.8 using my old build procedure (above).

So far every attempt I've made to use depot_tools has failed. Seems a bit... particular.

Jochen Eisinger

Jan 7, 2016, 5:10:28 AM1/7/16
to v8-users
Note that cygwin is not fully supported - depot_tools is tested with native windows and Msys.

Miha Puc

Jul 11, 2016, 3:06:02 PM7/11/16
to v8-users
Also set GYP_MSVS_VERSION=2015 if you use msvc 2015. This worked for me.

Michael Achenbach

Jul 12, 2016, 9:25:56 AM7/12/16
to v8-users
Note that MSVS 2015 is not officially supported by v8 yet (is might work but is not continuously tested).

More docu about the windows build procedure is here (but I think this thread already covers it all):