build/gyp_v8 on Windows

Garrett Hoofman

May 14, 2016, 10:06:06 PM5/14/16
to v8-users
gyp_v8 is missing? Or the install instructions are outdated.
  • Running Windows 10 x64
  • Visual Studio 2013 and 2015 are installed
  1. I've installed depot_tools and added it to my path.
  2. I've done the whole 'set DEPOT_TOOLS_WIN_TOOLCHAIN=0'
  3. I've also done the 'set GYP_MSVS_VERSION=2013'
  4. I've used the 'fetch v8' process to get the git repo
  5. I've done the 'gclient sync' in the v8 directory
No errors, everything seems to be working correctly with the exception that v8/build/gyp_v8 is missing.
Which means I can't generate the solution files with 'python build/gyp_v8' according to these instructions: https://github.com/v8/v8/wiki/Building%20with%20Gyp.

C:\_Repos\depot_tools\python276_bin\python.exe: can't open file 'build\gyp_v8': [Errno 2] No such file or directory

I see a solution file in the gypfiles folder along with a gyp_v8 file in that folder, but that sln has problems of its own when I try to compile (probably because that's the cygwin path, do I go down that route instead?)

Am I doing something wrong? Did the 'fetch v8' command not pull everything it was supposed to? I've had this building before (several months ago) on a different Windows install.

Michael Achenbach

May 16, 2016, 6:36:17 AM5/16/16
to v8-users
This moved to gypfiles as part of the GN transition. The documentation is out of date and nobody tested this properly afterwards.

Could you provide more details, why gypfiles/gyp_v8 doesn't work?

Garrett Hoofman

May 16, 2016, 9:14:17 AM5/16/16
to v8-users
Hey Michael,

In gathering information to reply with I was able to figure out the problem.
It was looking for Python with cmd.exe saying 'bash: python command not found'

So I installed python 2.7 and added it to my path and everything compiled correctly.

That means,

1. The documentation for Windows/Visual Studio is out of date.
( just need to run gclient sync in the folder now, and reference gypfiles/all.sln instead of build/all.sln )

2. The all.sln is not using the local gclient version of python (depot_tools\python276_bin) and instead hoping the system has it.

Thank you for getting back to me!