Building V8 on Mac OS X

Bradley Slavik

Sep 25, 2015, 11:54:20 AM9/25/15
to v8-users
Dear V8 users group,

I am looking for information about building V8 on Mac OS X.  A few months ago when I researched it, it appeared that GYP was necessary to build V8. GYP required old Python 2 instead of Python 3 to be installed. Should this bother me? Should I just be downloading V8 instead of building my own? Is there a build which does not require me to have outdated Python installed on my computer? I had read some posts which suggested that GN might be used for building V8 in the near future. Is any of this necessary to become an expert at using Node.js and NPM?

I know that I seem to have a lot of questions, but google has failed me when I tried to research these issues.

Thanks for helping me out.

Bradley Slavik

Ben Noordhuis

Sep 25, 2015, 3:52:55 PM9/25/15
to v8-u...@googlegroups.com
If you follow the instructions from [0], depot_tools will check out
GYP and the other prerequisites to a local directory. Don't bother if
you just want to play around with node.js and npm; V8 ships as part of
node.js, there is no need to build it yourself.

[0] https://code.google.com/p/v8-wiki/wiki/UsingGit