Build v8 with visual studio 2015

Илья Королевский

Sep 2, 2016, 11:31:42 AM9/2/16
to v8-users
Hello. Im so confused. I've spent two week trying to build lib files for my project. What I did:
  1. unzipped depot_tools
  2. added depot_tools to Path var
  3. cd depot_tools
  4. set GYP_MSVS_VERSION=2015
  5. set DEPOT_TOOLS_WIN_TOOLCHAIN=0
  6. fetch v8
  7. gclient sync
  8. cd v8
  9. gclient sync
  10. set GYP_GENERATORS=msvs-ninja

Then I open src/v8.sln, build v8 project (Debug.x86)
Then I get files in out/Debug
  1. v8_base_0.lib
  2. v8_base_1.lib
  3. v8_base_2.lib
  4. v8_base_3.lib
  5. v8_external_snapshot.lib
  6. v8_libbase.lib
  7. v8_libplatform.lib
  8. v8_libsampler.lib
  9. v8_nosnapshot.lib

I get this errors

Release.x86 error

Release.x64 errors

Jochen Eisinger

Sep 5, 2016, 5:38:11 AM9/5/16
to v8-users
the msvs-ninja gyp generator only creates an VS project that is suitable for browsing and editting the sources, but not for compiling. If you want to compile with MSVS, set the GYP_GENERATOR to msvs only.

Philippe Ferdinand

Sep 6, 2016, 11:56:29 AM9/6/16
to v8-users
Have you tried to build the libraries using ninja? I followed your instructions and then used ninja. Everything compile and link like a charms but I've not yet tested the libs with my own code:

Y:\lib-v8\v8>ninja -C out/Release_x64/
ninja: Entering directory `out/Release_x64/'
[1259/1259] STAMP obj\gypfiles\All.actions_depends.stamp

Y:\lib-v8\v8>out\Release_x64\hello-world.exe
Hello, World!