Help building v8 from source without network communication

Tim Galvin

May 28, 2015, 6:01:30 PM5/28/15
to v8-u...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I'm having trouble figuring out a way to install v8 on a machine in a fashion that wouldn't require any connection to the network. I'd like to essentially scp a tarball of some sort to a host, and then (aside from using ssh to issue commands) install v8 on the host without talking to the network at all.

I've tried running "git clone https://chromium.googlesource.com/v8/v8.git", bundling the repo in a tar file, scp'ing it to the host in question, and then running "make" or "make native" with no luck.

When I try to use the instructions here https://code.google.com/p/v8-wiki/wiki/BuildingWithGYP, I keep an eye on things with "watch -n .1 ss -tp" and notice a ton of network traffic calls associated with git.

Is there just a plain simple way to install v8 from source without using GYP or the public internet?

Thanks

Tim Galvin

May 28, 2015, 6:11:53 PM5/28/15
to v8-u...@googlegroups.com
Or if GYP is needed to build, can I also install GYP (depot_tools?) in the same offline fashion and then install v8 using the standalone GYP installation without any more network calls?

Ben Noordhuis

May 29, 2015, 6:35:31 AM5/29/15
to v8-u...@googlegroups.com
It's probably easiest to clone + gclient sync on your local machine,
then tar up the whole tree and copy that. You don't strictly need all
of depot_tools (although you are going to need GYP[0]) but it's a
whole lot easier to build the project in the ordained way.

If you do decide to go down the non-depot_tools path, `make native
i18nsupport=off GYPFLAGS="-Dclang=0"` should produce a working
build... eventually. The test suite will probably fail to build due
to missing gmock/gtest dependencies but you can work around that by
telling the Makefile in out/ to build just d8; I forgot what the exact
incantation is but it can be done.

[0] https://chromium.googlesource.com/external/gyp

Jakob Kummerow

May 29, 2015, 4:31:32 PM5/29/15
to v8-u...@googlegroups.com
To clarify:
- building V8 never requires internet access
- getting the V8 source and build dependencies always requires internet access (how else would you download anything?)
- GYP is not part of depot_tools
- GYP is always required for building V8
- GYP does not require internet access
- there's a reason none of our documentation mentions "git clone ..." directly: that's not how things work with V8

So what you'd do is:
(1) on a machine with internet access, install depot_tools and put them in your $PATH
(2) on that same machine, "fetch v8"
(3) tar up the result and transfer it to the other machine without internet access
(4) build ("make x64.release" or whatever target you're interested in).

Then again building from source on a machine without internet access makes me think that you're not planning to update very often. That's a bad idea, so part of me hopes that you'll abandon the entire plan in favor of something more sensible.