Can "threading" be implemented by mapping v8 heap to shared memory in linux?

Bogdan

Jan 8, 2018, 9:52:47 AM1/8/18
to v8-users
I don't know all details, I just a regular node developer who came up with idea of "threading" in js and hope anybody with deep knowledge will clarify some things. Javascript have old problem of lacking threading and all advices of using multiple processes doesn't help because there are important tasks  (for example in-memory database or managing application cache) which needs shared memory to utilize all cpu cores and having full copy of that memory and synchronizing it by coping data over channels doesn't make sense. Recently I've found out an interesting linux feature like shader memory with shm_open and mmap which can allow zero-copy and zero-overhead access to shared memory from different processes. There are also some node modules which exposes this feature to javascript but seems like all they can do is exposing  shared memory to javascript as an array which means all object managing, garbage collector, and other useful features we need to do all by ourselves. So I am wondering can v8 (if cannot now, maybe in it will with little hacking) allow to just map all heap into shared buffer so we can use the same objects from another process without copying?

Jakob Kummerow

Jan 8, 2018, 10:05:08 AM1/8/18
to v8-users
No, you cannot simply share all memory to get multi-threading. For safely/correctly working with shared memory, you need locking/synchronization primitives as well as certain guarantees in the language's memory model. JavaScript is not designed for such purposes.

On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 3:52 PM Bogdan <bgno...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Bogdan Orlov

Jan 8, 2018, 10:30:33 AM1/8/18
to v8-u...@googlegroups.com
I understand that updating object in shared memory need synchronization and even with in-memory database task in general there will be a global lock (not per-object because transaction will spread by different tables and object) and only one process will write to memory so I think just global lock will be enough for most tasks. But reading from shared memory is safe and there is no reason to not use all cpu cores to achieve more performance and that's why go and other languages will overcome js in this tasks. But I hope js will be able to compete and new features like SharedArrayBuffer and atomics seems like moving forward javascript to the right direction and I don't see why "JavaScript is not designed for such purposes.". Does SharedArrayBuffer supposed to do zero copy reading in different workers? How it implemented - by multiple threads or maybe it already using shared memory and different process?

J Decker

Jan 8, 2018, 10:43:32 AM1/8/18
to v8-u...@googlegroups.com
nwjs claims to support web worker with node, allowing true threading.  Each thread gets its own javascript context and they don't share anything.  They only communicate with messages.  The workers are entirely separate from each other.

pretty sure you'll need an addon if you want to share large chunks of data using typed arrays... and/or provide other synchronization around the buffers.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

mog...@syntheticsemantics.com

J Decker

Jan 9, 2018, 12:29:28 PM1/9/18
to v8-u...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jan 9, 2018 at 8:30 AM, <mog...@syntheticsemantics.com> wrote:
There is active work on parallel JS with a range of approaches to shared memory parallelism.  I maintain a list of parallel JS projects and am interested in finding applications that use them.  Are you working with a particular application that lead to a requirement for shared-memory parallel JS?

A voxel based 3d engine.  Offloading rebuilding meshes to other threads is of great benefit; allowing much more complex (smoothed) meshing.  The meshes, once available, should be immediately available to use in the render thread.  A single sector 32x32x32 can be a meg as a mesh; the visible area is 125 sectors.
Also physics for things moving across the voxels; which updates back for the few hundred entities' positions and orientations could be message based... not requiring shared memory.
https://github.com/d3x0r/voxelarium.js  (still very much a work in progress and non-stable; and is only a hobby-time project)