gyp_v8 error when building

spaesani...@gmail.com

Jul 24, 2016, 7:47:52 AM7/24/16
to v8-users
Calling python gypfiles\gyp_v8 gives a CalledProcessError

subprocess.check_call(get_toolchain_args) produces the error at  line 540 of check_call

The call string in the error is a long string of double back slashed paths, which I would assume are acceptable on windows, as well as what looks like a chksum or signature.

I don't have a copy function in te console window to show the whole error but I'm wondering if it sounds familiar to anyone. Maybe the string is misconcatenated somewhere earlier and can be addressed.

Jochen Eisinger

Jul 25, 2016, 5:23:04 AM7/25/16
to v8-users
can you paste the full error?

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

spaesani...@gmail.com

Jul 25, 2016, 10:53:21 AM7/25/16
to v8-users
 I just tried again through windows console  and I get passed (or prior) the error with a prompt for credentials to chrome-internal.googlesource.com

Looking over the gyp_v8 and company code I don't see why it would be looking to download anything

sys.property checks out through cygwin or windows console:

Python 2.7.10 (default, Jun  1 2015, 18:05:38)
[GCC 4.9.2] on cygwin
>>> import sys
>>> print(sys.platform)
cygwin

Python 2.7.12 (v2.7.12:d33e0cf91556, Jun 27 2016, 15:19:22) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
>>> import sys
>>> print(sys.platform)
win32

vs_toolchain.py

41  if ((sys.platform in ('win32', 'cygwin') or os.path.exists(json_data_file))
42      and depot_tools_win_toolchain):
43    if ShouldUpdateToolchain():
44 print "** vs_toolchain.py says ShouldUpdateToolChain.. **"
45 Update()

(I added line 44 to the code.)

The check at line 41 should pass yet it calls Update (which launches the credentials dialogue)

Michael Achenbach

Jul 26, 2016, 8:51:12 AM7/26/16
to v8-users
Please see https://github.com/v8/v8/wiki/Building-with-Gyp#prerequisites

You need to
set DEPOT_TOOLS_WIN_TOOLCHAIN=0
if you are not a googler.

spaesani...@gmail.com

Jul 26, 2016, 7:27:48 PM7/26/16
to v8-users
I google, sometimes..

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "gypfiles\gyp_v8", line 126, in <module>
    gyp_environment.set_environment()
  File "C:\Users\Donna\Downloads\sp\projects\depot_tools\v8\gypfiles\gyp_environment.py", line 62, in set_environment
    vs_toolchain.SetEnvironmentAndGetRuntimeDllDirs()
  File "C:\Users\Donna\Downloads\sp\projects\depot_tools\v8\gypfiles\vs_toolchain.py", line 44, in SetEnvironmentAndGetRuntimeDllDirs
    Update()
  File "C:\Users\Donna\Downloads\sp\projects\depot_tools\v8\gypfiles\vs_toolchain.py", line 331, in Update
    subprocess.check_call(get_toolchain_args)
  File "C:\Python27\lib\subprocess.py", line 541, in check_call
    raise CalledProcessError(retcode, cmd)
subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command '['C:\\Python27\\python.exe', 'C:\\Users\\Donna\\Downloads\\sp\\projects\\depot_tools\\win_toolchain\\get_toolchain_if_necessary.py', '--output-json', 'C:\\Users\\Donna\\Downloads\\sp\\projects\\depot_tools\\v8\\gypfiles\\win_toolchain.json', '03a4e939cd325d6bc5216af41b92d02dda1366a6']' returned non-zero exit status 1

Back to the initial issue
I personally didn't dig back into the pythoon subprocess.py
Thought someone might have seen this one before.

spaesani...@gmail.com

Jul 26, 2016, 9:13:36 PM7/26/16
to v8-users
bloody kwargs
they're worse than googlers
grep (pardon me)

On Sunday, July 24, 2016 at 7:47:52 AM UTC-4, spaesani...@gmail.com wrote:
Message has been deleted

spaesani...@gmail.com

Jul 26, 2016, 11:22:27 PM7/26/16
to v8-users
It's not the kwargs, it's the hash

received hash:  95ddda401ec5678f15eeed01d2bee08fcbc5ee97  current_hashes  []
desired_hash not in current_hashes

WHat do you mean I'm not a Googler? I google.
And I know how to follow instrunctions, so don't remind me
grep (pardon me)

cmd is none
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "gypfiles\gyp_v8", line 126, in <module>
    gyp_environment.set_environment()
  File "C:\Users\Donna\Downloads\sp\projects\depot_tools\v8\gypfiles\gyp_environment.py", line 62, in set_environment
    vs_toolchain.SetEnvironmentAndGetRuntimeDllDirs()
  File "C:\Users\Donna\Downloads\sp\projects\depot_tools\v8\gypfiles\vs_toolchain.py", line 44, in SetEnvironmentAndGetRuntimeDllDirs
    Update()
  File "C:\Users\Donna\Downloads\sp\projects\depot_tools\v8\gypfiles\vs_toolchain.py", line 336, in Update
    subprocess.check_call(get_toolchain_args)
  File "C:\Users\Donna\Downloads\sp\projects\depot_tools\python276_bin\lib\subprocess.py", line 544, in check_call
    raise CalledProcessError(retcode, cmd)
subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command '['C:\\Users\\Donna\\Downloads\\sp\\projects\\depot_tools\\python276_bin\\python.exe', 'C:\\Users\\Donna\\Downloads\\sp\\projects\\depot_tools\\win_toolchain\\get_toolchain_if_necessary.py', '--output-json', 'C:\\Users\\Donna\\Downloads\\sp\\projects\\depot_tools\\v8\\gypfiles\\win_toolchain.json', '95ddda401ec5678f15eeed01d2bee08fcbc5ee97']' returned non-zero exit status 1

Michael Achenbach

Jul 27, 2016, 2:37:52 AM7/27/16
to v8-users
If the environment variable DEPOT_TOOLS_WIN_TOOLCHAIN had been set to 0, python wouldn't get passed this condition:

as depot_tools_win_toolchain is set above to:
depot_tools_win_toolchain = bool(int(os.environ.get('DEPOT_TOOLS_WIN_TOOLCHAIN', '1')))

In all the stack traces above I can see line 44.

Maybe on cygwin you need to set the variable in a different way.

spaesani...@gmail.com

Jul 27, 2016, 5:30:03 AM7/27/16
to v8-users
Sorry bout the verbosity MIchael. The last post was mostly a joke.

To be clear the issue is the current_hashes  []
It's empty.
It's set in get_toolchain_if_necesssary.py around line 480

  current_hashes = CalculateToolchainHashes(target_dir, True)

I'm not familiar with google builds and have no idea what it's looking for.

I'm building on a GYP_MSVS_VERSION=2015

spaesani...@gmail.com

Jul 27, 2016, 5:53:07 AM7/27/16
to v8-users
I think I'm zeroing in on it

get_toolchain_if_necesssary.py
  toolchain_dir = '.'
  target_dir = os.path.normpath(os.path.join(toolchain_dir, 'vs_files'))

  target_dir == vs_files  // <--!

it's empty
?

Michael Achenbach

Jul 27, 2016, 5:55:25 AM7/27/16
to v8-users
To be clear the issue is the current_hashes  []
It's empty.
It's set in get_toolchain_if_necesssary.py around line 480

  current_hashes = CalculateToolchainHashes(target_dir, True)

I'm not familiar with google builds and have no idea what it's looking for.

I can only repeat myself. It wouldn't enter this code if the environment variable I mentioned above was set correctly. If you do enter this code, it's not set. And it is expected to fail (it could fail in nicer ways for sure).

The script get_toolchain_if_necessary.py is called in your above stack trace in vs_toolchain.py line 336, in Update

This is roughly:

Update is called by SetEnvironmentAndGetRuntimeDllDirs line 44 which it should not have entered in the first place as described above.

I'm building on a GYP_MSVS_VERSION=2015

 Not officially supported yet, but should compile at least. The variable will probably be ignored as you're required to have msvs 2015 installed.

Cheers

spaesani...@gmail.com

Jul 27, 2016, 6:12:34 AM7/27/16
to v8-users
Thanks for your help Michael. I thought the "if you're not a googler" and the env var was a joke to cut the build short. But I se it also at https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+show/master/docs/windows_build_instructions.md

Thanks again for your help.

I might give v8 a shot on a linux box someday but maybe it's all for the best.

Cheers

Jochen Eisinger

Jul 27, 2016, 8:54:13 AM7/27/16
to v8-users
btw, I want to point out that we have a code of conduct https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/master/CODE_OF_CONDUCT.md

Offensive comments, jokes or otherwise, are explicitly called out as something we don't tolerate.

Please take that into account for future communication.

thanks
-jochen

spaesani...@gmail.com

Jul 28, 2016, 5:37:03 AM7/28/16
to v8-users
I think if you'd taken the time to read the post in it's entirety you'd see that I had considered the v8 build docs requiring setting a variable based on being a "googler" a joke thus prior to my own.

You'd have also seen that I mentioned this to Michael, the person I was having a coversation with.

With all due respect to you as moderator you may want to consider this when peeping in otherwise it may considered harassment.

spaesani...@gmail.com

Jul 28, 2016, 6:00:45 AM7/28/16
to v8-users
On a final note I just did a search and read what a  "googler" is.

Would have been nice to know v8 compilation isn't intended for non google employees.

Rather hostile not to indicate it more clearly

More hostile still not to have mentioned it here while I was struggling to build it.

The more I lean about google, the less I like.

Hioenstly be glad when the company and it's employees get what they gave.

Very little.

If not worse

Ben Noordhuis

Jul 28, 2016, 6:47:05 AM7/28/16
to v8-users
On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 12:00 PM, <spaesani...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On a final note I just did a search and read what a "googler" is.
>
> Would have been nice to know v8 compilation isn't intended for non google
> employees.
>
> Rather hostile not to indicate it more clearly
>
> More hostile still not to have mentioned it here while I was struggling to
> build it.
>
> The more I lean about google, the less I like.
>
> Hioenstly be glad when the company and it's employees get what they gave.
>
> Very little.
>
> If not worse

Not a Googler, happily building V8 on Windows and other platforms.
You simply did something wrong and instead of thanking the people
trying to help you, you're going completely off the rail.

Jakob Kummerow

Jul 28, 2016, 7:34:28 AM7/28/16
to v8-users
On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 12:00 PM, <spaesani...@gmail.com> wrote:
On a final note I just did a search and read what a  "googler" is.

Would have been nice to know v8 compilation isn't intended for non google employees.

That's not true. Many non-Google-employees are compiling V8 regularly, and that's absolutely intended. That's why we have public documentation explaining how to do it. And why we helped you.

The only detail where it even makes a difference is that we can't redistribute the Microsoft toolchain for licensing reasons, so downloading that through gclient unfortunately has to be an internal-only feature (which happens to be on by default). As has been explained before, set DEPOT_TOOLS_WIN_TOOLCHAIN=0 is all you have to do to turn it off. Note that this only affects Windows developers, which is a relatively rare case; on Linux and Mac there is no difference between internal and public build instructions.

Please think twice before calling people who are helping you "hostile".

Steve Paesani

Jul 28, 2016, 8:30:06 AM7/28/16
to v8-u...@googlegroups.com

1)Quite frankly I get by just fine without your code in my life.
2)You have no business jumping in on a conversation that was not in any way addressed to you on any capacity.

--
Sent from myMail app for Android

Thursday, 28 July 2016, 06:46AM -04:00 from Ben Noordhuis in...@bnoordhuis.nl:

Steve Paesani

Jul 28, 2016, 8:50:15 AM7/28/16
to v8-u...@googlegroups.com

I think you jumping in here with yout insults and further hostility proves my point.

--
Sent from myMail app for Android

Thursday, 28 July 2016, 06:46AM -04:00 from Ben Noordhuis in...@bnoordhuis.nl:

Jochen Eisinger

Jul 28, 2016, 9:37:38 AM7/28/16
to v8-u...@googlegroups.com
Steve,

I have to ask you to immediately stop this escalatory behavior.

Failure to do so will result in a ban from this mailing list, and other chromium communication channels.

best
-jochen

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "v8-users" group.