libvideo Error checking supported palettes on V4L2 video device

Leonard Soetedjo

Jul 25, 2011, 3:41:37 AM7/25/11
to v4l4j
Hi,

I'm unable to use v4l4j with my video capture card. I'm currently
using the following capture card:
http://store.bluecherry.net/products/Bluecherry-BC%252d08240A%252dOEM-%252d-8-port-video%2C-8-port-audio-realtime-hardware-compression-card.html

I've tested using v4l2ucp for /dev/video0 which can very well show the
video. However, when I tried to use ant test-gui, the following error
is shown:

test-gui:
[java] [ libvideo.c:68 ] Using libvideo version 0.8-10
[java] [ v4l2-query.c:640 ] Error checking supported palettes on
V4L2 video device /dev/video0
[java] [ libvideo.c:394 ] libvideo was unable to gather
information on device /dev/video0
[java] [ libvideo.c:395 ] If this device is not currently used by
any other application,
[java] [ libvideo.c:396 ] please let the author know about this
error.
[java] [ libvideo.c:397 ] See the ISSUES section in the libvideo
README file.

Also, I've ensured that there is no other application is opening /dev/
video0.

Leonard Soetedjo

Jul 25, 2011, 6:30:51 AM7/25/11
to v4l4j
My bad. I should've read that that card starts from /dev/video1 to /
dev/video8 (as described in http://ben-collins.blogspot.com/2010/06/using-your-new-bluecherry-mpeg-4-codec.html)

I'm able to progress further with /dev/video1, but I got the following
error instead when I tried to click on "RGB Viewer" or "JPEG Viewer"
in the "ant test-gui" sample application:

[java] [ v4l4j_VideoDevice.c:161 ] [V4L4J] Unknown control type:
7
[java] Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0"
au.edu.jcu.v4l4j.exceptions.JNIException: Unknown control type: 7
[java]
[java] at au.edu.jcu.v4l4j.VideoDevice.doGetControlList(Native
Method)
[java] at au.edu.jcu.v4l4j.VideoDevice.getControlList(Unknown
Source)
[java] at
au.edu.jcu.v4l4j.examples.videoViewer.AbstractVideoViewer.<init>(Unknown
Source)
[java] at
au.edu.jcu.v4l4j.examples.videoViewer.JPEGViewer.<init>(Unknown
Source)
[java] at au.edu.jcu.v4l4j.examples.videoViewer.DeviceChooser
$DeviceInfoPane.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)

Note that I tried to use "ant test-getsnapshot" with /dev/video1 and
it works!

On Jul 25, 3:41 pm, Leonard Soetedjo <ste...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm unable to use v4l4j with my video capture card.  I'm currently
> using the following capture card:http://store.bluecherry.net/products/Bluecherry-BC%252d08240A%252dOEM...

Gilles Gigan

Jul 26, 2011, 12:01:30 AM7/26/11
to v4...@googlegroups.com
Leonard,
Good to hear you figured out your first issue.
Regarding the exception thrown when enumerating controls, it is
something that needs to be fixed in v4l4j.
I ll work on it when I have some time this week, and I ll let you know
when it s ready to be tested.
Gilles