Need help in demystifying the best prototyping/mockup tool

Michael Vaughn

Jun 21, 2016, 4:30:50 PM6/21/16
to UX Book Club Denver
Greetings UXers from the Valley of the Sun!

I'm leading a UX project in Phoenix with a UX team, (btw 106 today and 118 yesterday).
We need some help identifying the best prototyping/mockup tool for a solution we're creating.

As we all know, there are many mockup/prototyping tools to consider.
However, this solution that we're creating is unique.
Its not a traditional website, mobile app, etc.

So, what prototyping tool would you recommend as a best solution based off the following?

1 - The entire solution will fit onto two screens.
2 - There's a dozens of interactions on the two screens
3 - We'll be using this solution to perform usability testing which will include iterations
4 - Its important that the users will be interacting with the elements on the page (text fields, drop downs, etc)
5 - Once the solution goes to build it will be web based

We've identified several options but would love to hear ideas from you.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you'd recommend.

- Michael Vaughn

Mike Caskey

Jun 21, 2016, 4:40:14 PM6/21/16
to UX Book Club Denver
My first thought was that something that operates on static screens would slow you down, and that you might want to use a prototyping tool that was made from the ground up to support high fidelity UI interactions, like Proto.io. Tools like Proto work with the notion of a single-page-application in mind. Proto also has a prototype viewer and remote sharing feature.

Then I wondered whether your team had anyone familiar with quick web page building tools, like Webflow. It enables you to quickly build the actual web UI, almost as quickly, and in some cases more quickly, than building a throwaway prototype, plus you could save time on the actual development of the UI. Your study participants would view it in the browser.

Either way, I think the best tool will be the one that your team is able to understand and wield most quickly.

JP // Julia Pellicciaro

Jun 21, 2016, 6:25:57 PM6/21/16
to ux-bookcl...@googlegroups.com
I just saw a demo of UX Pin's interactive prototyping tool. It seems really powerful and supports states, transitions, component building, fearing adaptive views with the same elements (designer must re-layout the elements), project statuses/ stage gates, iterations, export to image/PDF/web, and collaboration (commenting and real-time collaborative editing, allegedly akin to gDocs for prototyping)! Will likely be getting my team on a pilot plan, soon.

Some UXer wrote about their team's experience using UX Pin's prototyping tool on one large project for a whole year (disclosure: haven't had a chance to read this yet; was a rec from the UX Pin sales/success rep):
https://medium.com/expand-the-room/one-tool-to-rule-them-all-11e45696b647

Good luck,
JP

JP // Julia Pellicciaro

Jun 21, 2016, 6:26:49 PM6/21/16
to ux-bookcl...@googlegroups.com
P.S. I've briefly tried JustinMind and Hotgloo, and both felt cumbersome.

Michael Vaughn

Jun 21, 2016, 6:28:12 PM6/21/16
to ux-bookcl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Julia and Mike!

Sent from my iPhone

HeatherM

Jun 22, 2016, 1:10:11 PM6/22/16
to UX Book Club Denver
At PayPal we used Axure for user testing complex prototypes with tons of interactions on each page. It can do almost anything you'd want. The only problem is, you have to throw it away when you're done and build something real.