NOTES: Protectwise Demo

Kelley Poturalski

May 11, 2017, 7:52:14 PM5/11/17
to UX Book Club Denver

UXBC // April 26

STUDIO:

Tron, Network Security and VR

NEXT MEETING:

Author visit (Articulating Design Decisions)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

ABOUT

  • Protectwise FE has a lot of UX duties
  • Has broken down a lot of barriers to design
  • “We don’t pay anybody for their egos.”
  • Terminal windows / log files / etc… for detective work. No one is innovating. There are security breaches weekly. So we do detection… What’s really difficult is hunting. Revolutionizing by doing advanced space and timeline
  • Jake Sargent - always has a design reference for future ideas to help build a visual design library for the team to reference
  • Without pattern matching you have nothing to look at…
  • Team is always trained on network technology - not just security
  • Michael started as UX/UI as a dual role… quickly overwhelmed. Relied heavily on the front-end engineers.
  • Get through the research and WF as quickly as possible. Then plug the data in.
  • Front-ends can push your design a magnitude of levels beyond.
  • How do we build a video game generation into network analysts?
  • Our CTO would say there’s big data that we have to collect and funnel down. But what if we didn’t have to filter it down. What if we make a world out of it? What if you understand the space?
  • Allows us to immerse in all the data points.
  • Representing really technical things as a city (something anyone can understand)
  • Every asset on your network becomes a building. Bandwidth (width) net flow activity (height)…
  • Differences in the city scape should spur questions / explorations
  • Aspirational video…
  • “to build the new… one must cease fighting the old”
  • “Early access - 2017”
  • “You’re finally showing me network assets."
  • Can represent activity with sound, visuals, contrast ratios…
  • Air cover vs. ground vs. swat team (representative of business roles/hierarchy)
  • Oculus controllers let you point at things across “the city”
  • In VR… the world moves around you
  • Assumption: your network knows all assets (does not account for DCIP)

QUESTIONS

  1. Was there an MVP building up to this?
  2. Do you have multiple teams working in tandem? How are they divided?
  3. What does your roadmap look like?
  4. How’d it evolve?
  5. Pricing? Price comparison?
  6. Set up time?
  7. How did you arrive at the idea of city architecture?
  8. How long is someone expected to be in the VR view? It’s the hunting tool for someone to get in and really understand their part of the network.
  9. How did you decide on Unity, the gaming engine?
  10. Air cover vs. ground vs. swat
  11. Do you find the city metaphor limiting?

ATTENDEES // Favorite video game character

  1. Travis - Contra character
  2. Sara - Mario
  3. Seth (ProtectWise) - MegaMan
  4. SuAnne (ProtectWise) - Catana
  5. Courtney - Link from Zelda
  6. Chris - Princess from MarioKart
  7. Jason (ProtectWise) -
  8. Ross - Frogger
  9. Kevin - Bo Jackson
  10. Jeff - dudes from Double Dragon
  11. Kelley - Ms Pacman
  12. Ramsay - Pong stick
  13. Lys - Odd World
  14. Frances - Donkey Kong
  15. Ryan - Pitfall
  16. Bill - Tetris “L”
  17. Brandon - Michael from Grand Theft auto
  18. Mike C - Wade Watts
  19. Noelle - Mist & Riven
  20. Josh -
  21. Michael V - Zelda