How do you build partnerships with Devs?

JP // Julia Pellicciaro

Jan 19, 2016, 12:26:17 PM1/19/16
to UX Book Club Denver
Hey all,
At Granicus this week, we've got some devs/engineers on site for an 'engineering summit', and I'm doing a short (30–45 min, maybe) interactive talk on the value of UX and how Engineering can partner with us. My team has already built partnerships with a couple of the dev teams, but some of these folks are new to UX (as they've joined Granicus as the result of a couple acquisitions). Some things we're doing in current partnership is attending stand-ups, technical reviews as needed during the design phase, 'warm' hand-offs (walking the devs through the design and fielding questions, and front-end pairing post hand-off as needed).

Part of my talk includes an empathy mapping exercise.

My question for you is, what are your top 2 or 3 strategies/tactics for partnering with devs?

I'm curious to hear what's working well for you!

Thanks,
JP

Elise Edson

Jan 19, 2016, 1:21:12 PM1/19/16
to ux-bookcl...@googlegroups.com
JP, great question!

I dig the UX Love Potion by Alissa Briggs & Raman Hansi, and it's helped me get inspired to build collaboration and FUN relationships with devs.

I also relish Design Studios with devs and can honestly say that some of the best UX ideas have come from non-UXers through these sessions:

Excited to follow this thread and see what ideas and experiences others have!

xo
Elise

Travis Stiles

Jan 19, 2016, 5:15:50 PM1/19/16
to UX Book Club Denver
(+10) on the Design Studio method - huge value and owning the problem together with devs. Maybe a quick customer problem to solve together? Then having a Dev share their experience with the full dev team to communicate the value and positive experience?

Empathy Map is a good idea, but usually off of an interview, can you interview a customer or internal stakeholder for that session? Or grab a quick interview video to share and then empathy map?

Another way is to hear "What's worked" and "What hasn't" with Dev collaboration with UX and talk about prioritized ways to collaborate going forward - sets your knowledge of the "audience" and prioritizes any blockers to address in your relationships going forward... Bit of a pre-Retro of sorts ;)

Let us know how it goes JP!

Travis Stiles

Jan 19, 2016, 5:27:25 PM1/19/16
to UX Book Club Denver
This might also have some solid resources and perspective on "ramping up dev teams to UX" ...

At IDEO.org, we’ve helped thousands of people embrace human-centered design and unlock their problem-solving potential. And time and again, we've heard our broader community ask for the tools that they need to introduce their colleagues, teams, and networks to the same approach. You asked, we answered. Introducing the Facilitator's Guide.

The Facilitator’s Guide to Introducing Human-Centered Design is a step-by-step guide to help you introduce new learners to this creative approach to problem solving. Building on your existing experience with human-centered design and workshop facilitation, you’ll learn to plan and lead a one-day, hands-on introductory workshop for between 5 and 20 people who are new to human-centered design. The materials include a script, presentation, worksheets, and agendas to maximize your success.

Register now at: http://bit.ly/facilitatorsguide.
<<<