Re: Cannot convert string...

William Chen

Jun 17, 2004, 12:15:25 AM6/17/04
to David Lin
Um... isn't it some other way around? I hope I'm not giving this away
here.

Will

--
W. William Chen
<ww2...@student.cs.uwaterloo.ca>

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004, David Lin wrote:

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004, William Cowan wrote:

> David Lin <td...@student.cs.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > For step1, my caret for the EntryArea is not correctly positioned in the
> > unix machines under the MFCF enviroment as it is under the Windows.
>
> > Is there any way to get rid of this warning msg?
>
> > "Warning: Cannot convert string
> > "-monotype-arial-regular-r-normal--*-140-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1" to type
> > FontStruct"
>

> Your two problems are connected. Can you see how?

Thanks! I just changed the font to "Arial", now it works correctly. But
I'm still getting that warning tho.

I think the problem is that the font "Helvetica" only exists in Windows.

> Bill Cowan

William Chen

Jun 17, 2004, 12:36:49 AM6/17/04
Actually, I don't think this is something serious, so here goes.

Helvetica = old "Standard"
Arial = MS "Rip-off," as some may call it.

Googling will give you lots of opinion, and this cute Flash game

http://www.mimeartist.com/helvetica/

Will

--
W. William Chen
<ww2...@student.cs.uwaterloo.ca>

Karney Victor Li

Jun 17, 2004, 2:39:48 AM6/17/04
I noticed this problem too when running the application. I've tried it
through ssh with X forwarding to my home machine on rees and on cpu02.
On both machines, I ran xlsfonts to see what fonts the X server was currently
aware of and

-monotype-arial-regular-r-normal--*-140-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1

is not in the list. why its even looking for this font is
interestnig since the application asks for helvetica. so my first
guess would be that there's an alias somewhere, or maybe this problem only
occurs when I access the machines remotely. Runs fine locally on my machine,
but not when over ssh.

what machines have people actually run it on with success? i
haven't actually gone to a client in the CSCF environment to try it. When
this message occurs, typing backspace does aboslutely nothing, so to me
I'd classify this as a big problem since I can't enter any data or
read/write to any files.

Karney

William Cowan

Jun 17, 2004, 2:56:07 PM6/17/04
Karney Victor Li <kv...@cpu02.student.cs.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
> I noticed this problem too when running the application. I've tried it
> through ssh with X forwarding to my home machine on rees and on cpu02.
> On both machines, I ran xlsfonts to see what fonts the X server was currently
> aware of and

> -monotype-arial-regular-r-normal--*-140-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1

> is not in the list. why its even looking for this font is
> interestnig since the application asks for helvetica. so my first
> guess would be that there's an alias somewhere, or maybe this problem only
> occurs when I access the machines remotely. Runs fine locally on my machine,
> but not when over ssh.

> what machines have people actually run it on with success? i
> haven't actually gone to a client in the CSCF environment to try it. When
> this message occurs, typing backspace does aboslutely nothing, so to me
> I'd classify this as a big problem since I can't enter any data or
> read/write to any files.

Here's what I think, which may not be accurate because it would take a
lot of experimentation to find out for certain.

First, when you ask for a font the X client, on which the application is
running, asks the X server, on which the applications windows are being
displayed, "Do you have font yyyy?" If the server says yes all goes
fine. If the server says no, the client tries to find a standard font to
use instead.

So what I think is going on is that the JVM, which runs on the client,
has Arial as one of its default fonts, and checks to see if it's
available before trying to do anything, and that's where the error
message comes from.

Now I chose not to use default fonts but instead specified fonts that
are pretty well universally available. So the client never tries
write anything in Arial, or in whatever substitute font has been
proposed.

That's my theory. If it's true the problem will be display rather than
client specific.

Bill Cowan

Steve

Jun 17, 2004, 3:05:53 PM6/17/04
> That's my theory. If it's true the problem will be display rather than
> client specific.

Well, using the same X Server (cygwin's) on my laptop, I get the error when I
forward from the school, but not when I'm forwarding from my linux box at home.

Steve