havin problem saving my files

hams...@gmail.com

Apr 4, 2008, 12:42:04 AM4/4/08
Hi I make a file using evim but when i type in the contents of the
file and try savin it i get the following errors

E297:write error in swap file
"sort.wlpp" E667:Fsync failed

and it wont let me save my changes

i dont know why , can anyone help me if they have experianced a
similar issue.

Kyle Spaans

Apr 4, 2008, 7:17:29 AM4/4/08
On Thu, 3 Apr 2008, hams...@gmail.com wrote:
> E297:write error in swap file
> "sort.wlpp" E667:Fsync failed

I've run into this before. Are you over your disk space quota? Type "diskquota" to find out. That would be one reason. If you aren't, then it's just because the Network File System is borking at the time you are trying to edit/create the fie, and you should just try again later (I tried again a few minutes later and it worked for me).

Jeremy Sharpe

Apr 4, 2008, 8:11:32 AM4/4/08

Yes, this happened to me once when I ran out of diskquota (argh, math
students get so little space that Firefox's cache takes up our whole disk).

Jeremy

David Belanger

Apr 4, 2008, 10:13:22 AM4/4/08
On Fri, 4 Apr 2008, Jeremy Sharpe wrote:

> Yes, this happened to me once when I ran out of diskquota (argh, math
> students get so little space

post hoc

> that Firefox's cache takes up our whole disk).

ergo propter hoc

--
BELANGER

Edward D'Souza

Apr 4, 2008, 11:19:12 AM4/4/08

Is this a joke? What is the incorrect cause-effect relationship here?

Robert Xiao

Apr 4, 2008, 2:40:17 PM4/4/08
I suggest you check the message headers.

Robert

hams...@gmail.com

Apr 4, 2008, 2:58:39 PM4/4/08
On Apr 4, 8:11 am, Jeremy Sharpe <jasha...@shaw.ca> wrote:
> Kyle Spaans wrote:

hmm how do i go about clearing my diskquota? i mean do i just delete
unnecessary files?

Edward D'Souza

Apr 4, 2008, 3:09:08 PM4/4/08

I don't understand. Please explain.

Robert Xiao

Apr 4, 2008, 3:26:12 PM4/4/08
"

Kyle Spaans

Apr 4, 2008, 3:32:22 PM4/4/08
On Fri, 4 Apr 2008, hams...@gmail.com wrote:
> hmm how do i go about clearing my diskquota? i mean do i just delete
> unnecessary files?

Yup, that's all you have to do. Often easier said than done. Some helpful commands are "ls -l" and "du". If you have lots of files and you know where they are, it should be simple. If you've browsed the web with Firefox on the machines often, then you'll want to delete the cache, which could be either simple or hard I guess.

If it is your mail that is filling thigs up, that's a little harder - and your best bet would be to delete old messages from inside your mail client.

gl & hf

Kyle Spaans

Apr 4, 2008, 3:37:39 PM4/4/08
On Fri, 4 Apr 2008, Edward D'Souza wrote:
> Robert Xiao wrote:
>>
>> I suggest you check the message headers.
>
> I don't understand. Please explain.

You are familiar with the message headers of emails? The RFC for email lets you specify arbitrary headers prepended with "X-". So if you take a look at the headers that start with "X-", and you should get an answer to your (is-joke? newsgroup-post) expression.

The following link may be helpful:
http://ist.uwaterloo.ca/security/howto/2006-09-01/

Troy Vasiga

Apr 4, 2008, 4:36:17 PM4/4/08

Actually, I believe your mail quota is different than your regular
quota. You can check with MFCF/CSCF though. Email messages don't take
up a lot of space: images and executables do. So, trash those pictures
of Beyonce: she is not available anyway.

Troy (t.v.)
> gl & hf

Jeremy Adamson Sharpe

Apr 4, 2008, 4:43:01 PM4/4/08

I also suggest limiting Firefox's cache to some reasonable size like 5mb
(its default is 50mb I believe, which with an adequate amount of space
WOULD be reasonable). You can do this through

Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Network

Jeremy