Fwd: Fw: Chi Square question

Heidi Voordeckers

Dec 10, 2013, 9:44:58 AM12/10/13
to uteco...@googlegroups.com

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Heidi Voordeckers <hvoord...@wbcity.org>
Date: Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 7:41 AM
Subject: Fw: Chi Square question
To: "Heidi Voordeckers (wbc....@gmail.com)" <wbc....@gmail.com>

Sent from Windows Mail

From: Heidi Voordeckers
Sent: Monday, December 9, 2013 8:24 PM
To: Bev Uipi
Cc: UteCohorts

Hi Bev,

I worked on this for two hours last night and realized that the problem is with the expected outcomes he presented Friday night. He used the percentage table to calculate expected results instead of the observed table ... big difference!

Here is a link that I found helpful in explaining how to get the expected values:

 and a calculator that also shows you the expected values it uses:

Hope this helps!

Heidi

Sent from Windows Mail

From: CHRISTOPHER A SIMON
Date:12/09/2013 1:12 AM (GMT-07:00)
To: u0312540
Subject: RE: Chi Square question

I copied and pasted another example below.  Does this help?

Chi Square Goodness of Fit (One Sample Test)

This test allows us to compare a collection of categorical data with some theoretical expected distribution. This test is often used in genetics to compare the results of a cross with the theoretical distribution based on genetic theory. Suppose you preformed a simple monohybrid cross between two individuals that were heterozygous for the trait of interest.

Aa x Aa

The results of your cross are shown in Table 4.

Table 4. Results of a monohybrid cross between two heterozygotes for the 'a' gene.

 Totals

 10

 42

 52

 33

 15

 48

 Totals

 43

 57

 100

The penotypic ratio 85 of the A type and 15 of the a-type (homozygous recessive). In a monohybrid cross between two heterozygotes, however, we would have predicted a 3:1 ratio of phenotypes. In other words, we would have expected to get 75 A-type and 25 a-type. Are or resuls different?

http://math.hws.edu/javamath/ryan/ChiSq.gif

Calculate the chi square statistic x2 by completing the following steps:

1.     For each observed number in the table subtract the corresponding expected number (O — E).

2.     Square the difference [ (O —E)2 ].

3.     Divide the squares obtained for each cell in the table by the expected number for that cell [ (O - E)2 / E ].

4.     Sum all the values for (O - E)2 / E. This is the chi square statistic.

For our example, the calculation would be:

Observed

Expected

(O — E)

(O — E)2

(O — E)2/ E

A-type

85

75

10

100

1.33

a-type

15

25

10

100

4.0

Total

100

100

 5.33

x2 = 5.33

We now have our chi square statistic (x2 = 5.33), our predetermined alpha level of significalnce (0.05), and our degrees of freedom (df =1). Entering the Chi square distribution table with 1 degree of freedom and reading along the row we find our value of x2 5.33) lies between 3.841 and 5.412. The corresponding probability is 0.05<P<0.02. This is smaller than the conventionally accepted significance level of 0.05 or 5%, so the null hypothesis that the two distributions are the same is rejected. In other words, when the computed x2 statistic exceeds the critical value in the table for a 0.05 probability level, then we can reject the null hypothesis of equal distributions. Since our x2 statistic (5.33) exceeded the critical value for 0.05 probability level (3.841) we can reject the null hypothesis that the observed values of our cross are the same as the theoretical distribution of a 3:1 ratio.

Table 3. Chi Square distribution table.

probability level (alpha)

Df

0.5

0.10

0.05

0.02

0.01

0.001

1

0.455

2.706

3.841

5.412

6.635

10.827

2

1.386

4.605

5.991

7.824

9.210

13.815

3

2.366

6.251

7.815

9.837

11.345

16.268

4

3.357

7.779

9.488

11.668

13.277

18.465

5

4.351

9.236

11.070

13.388

15.086

20.517

To put this into context, it means that we do not have a 3:1 ratio of A_ to aa offspring.