Guru Labs Developer Workshop: Physical Computing with the Raspberry Pi (1/22/2015@4:00pm)

Rob Oakes

Jan 14, 2015, 12:54:58 PM1/14/15
to utahp...@googlegroups.com
Dear Utah Pythonistas,

Guru Labs will be holding a development workshop on January 22 at 4:00pm. We'll be talking about physical computing (sensors, actuators, and control systems) and some of the hardware/software frameworks available. Most of the presentation will focus on the Raspberry Pi and related ecosystem (with a brief discussion of how you can use extension boards (such as the Raspberry Pi Alamode) to integrate with other frameworks (such as Arduino).

We will have a number of hardware kits available (and time afterward) for people to experiment. However, if you have a Raspberry Pi (A+ or B+), please consider bringing it.

The presentation will be given by Michael Adams, one of the Guru Labs instructors.

-- Where --
The event will be held at the Guru Labs offices:

1148 West Legacy Crossing Blvd #200
Centerville, UT 84014

(our offices are located right off of the Centerville exit, directly adjacent to the Larry H. Miller Megaplex theater.)

-- When --
Thursday, January 22 at 4:00 pm.

If you have any interest, please feel free to stop by.

Best Regards,

Rob Oakes

malandro95

Jan 15, 2015, 10:46:58 AM1/15/15
to utahp...@googlegroups.com
This sounds awesome!  You totally had me till you said "Centerville."  Centerville by 4 seems a bit rough.  I'd love to see this another time though.  Maybe at something like OpenWest or at the monthly user group?

Eric Smith

Jan 15, 2015, 9:20:41 PM1/15/15
to utahp...@googlegroups.com
I just got a RaspberryPi for Christmas, so it sounds really interesting, but I also would have a problem getting to Centerville then.

magiclantern

Jan 16, 2015, 9:05:59 PM1/16/15
to utahp...@googlegroups.com
Rob,

Sounds exciting. I forwarded the information to a few of my coworkers and several have expressed interest in going. Do you have more details? How long will the session last? Is there limited space or signup required?

I and my coworkers all have Raspberry Pi B+, so we can provide our own devices, but not sure if we need to bring our own keyboard, monitor, etc.

Thanks,

Seth Russell

Rob Oakes

Jan 21, 2015, 7:40:25 PM1/21/15
to utahp...@googlegroups.com
Dear Utah Python,

I'm glad to hear that people are excited for the workshop. We are as well

On Friday, January 16, 2015 at 7:05:59 PM UTC-7, magiclantern wrote:

Do you have more details?

We'll be providing an introduction to the interfaces on the Raspberry Pi and how they can be used for building simple devices. Most of the time will be spent discussing the General Purpose Input/Output pins.

How long will the session last?

There will be an approximately hour long presentation. We will have some hardware available which can be used afterward for experimentation. We will not be providing Pi boards, but will have some other equipment available for use (bread boards, some wiring, LEDs, resistors, capacitors, etc.). These are limited, though, and people will have to share.

I should also be explicit. Though we want to give people hands-on time, we are mostly introducing the concepts. There is not a structured hands-on lab.

Is there limited space or signup required?

Signup is not required.

I and my coworkers all have Raspberry Pi B+, so we can provide our own devices, but not sure if we need to bring our own keyboard, monitor, etc.

We will provide keyboards and monitors.

The hardware we will be showing tomorrow are pretty simple (resistors, breadboards, jumper cables, and so forth). Mike Adams, the instructor, has promised to post a full parts list. Everything is available form Radio Shack. A full kit would look a great deal like this: http://www.adafruit.com/products/955

See you tomorrow!

Cheers,

Rob