Need 2-3 Python/Django devs

Laurie Nylund

Mar 20, 2014, 11:11:10 AM3/20/14
to utahp...@googlegroups.com
One of my customers is looking to immediately hire a couple of Python/Django developers. They have a big project coming up and need to get a couple of new guys on board quickly. If you or someone you know is interested in more details, please drop me a line via my work address - lau...@consultnet.com.

Thanks,
Laurie

Ryan Hess

Mar 21, 2014, 1:12:50 PM3/21/14
to utahp...@googlegroups.com
Just FYI I tried to send an email to that email address but I got "Delivery Failed".

Sean Upton

Mar 21, 2014, 5:44:21 PM3/21/14
to utahp...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 9:11 AM, Laurie Nylund <lny...@gmail.com> wrote:
> They have a big project coming up and need to get a couple of
> new guys on board quickly.

>>> assert not all(map(is_male, webdevs))

I know there's temptation to speak in communities like this to speak
in the familiar, but can be a self-fulfilling prophesy if we tend to
repeat it even inadvertently -- especially in recruiting.

Sean

Dave Smith

Mar 21, 2014, 7:15:01 PM3/21/14
to utahp...@googlegroups.com
I’m trying to parse your sentence, but I’m having a hard time understanding. Are you saying that it’s good to reinforce the fact that we want to encourage people of all genders to enter the industry? (I agree) Or that you don’t support this kind of assertion?

—Dave

Laurie Nylund

Mar 21, 2014, 11:46:24 PM3/21/14
to utahp...@googlegroups.com
Ryan,

My apologies. I think I posted this before I had any coffee yesterday. My work address is lny...@consultnet.com

Thanks,
Laurie

Vernon D. Cole

Mar 22, 2014, 11:01:44 AM3/22/14
to utahp...@googlegroups.com

Humph!  Given the fact that I often hear female humans greet a group of other females using "Hi, guys!" I contend that "guys" is gender neural (unless context shows otherwise).  Since the original poster's avatar has long blonde hair, and is wearing a pink shirt, I don't think that gender bias applies here.

But I agree that the world needs more geek chicks.  I am very proud of my wife and several daughters for becoming tech savy.

Laurie Nylund

Mar 23, 2014, 11:12:06 AM3/23/14
to utahp...@googlegroups.com
Personally, I have always used "guys" as gender neutral. Maybe that is a Midwest thing, but Utahns generally consider themselves mid-westerners, in my experience.

As a woman in technology for nearly 20 years, I have always tried to encourage and support more women in the industry. At Intel, that was the area where I volunteered my personal time whenever there was an opportunity to do so.

However, with the stats that show continually dwindling enrollment in any STEM-related curriculum, gender no longer really matters to me. We need to encourage *everyone* to consider this option.

And, I don't think my choice of a word in a post to share some job openings will have any impact on that cause, positive or negative.

-Laurie

Jeff Hutchins

Mar 23, 2014, 11:31:54 AM3/23/14
to utahp...@googlegroups.com
For anyone offended personally or on behalf of another by Laurie's use
of the term "guys" I would direct you to Merriam-Webster's definition
of the noun form for the word "guy" and suggest focus on definition
3b. I have included these definitions below for your convenience.

Definition of GUY

1 often capitalized : a grotesque effigy of Guy Fawkes traditionally
displayed and burned in England on Guy Fawkes Day
2 chiefly British : a person of grotesque appearance
3 a : man, fellow
b : person --used in plural to refer to the members of a group
regardless of sex <saw her and the rest of the guys>
4 : individual, creature <the other dogs pale in companion to this little guy>

"Guy." Merriam-Webster.com. Merriam-Webster, n.d. Web. 23 Mar. 2014.
<http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/guy>.
>>> --Dave
>>

>> Humph! Given the fact that I often hear female humans greet a group of
>> other females using "Hi, guys!" I contend that "guys" is gender neural
>> (unless context shows otherwise). Since the original poster's avatar has
>> long blonde hair, and is wearing a pink shirt, I don't think that gender
>> bias applies here.
>>
>> But I agree that the world needs more geek chicks. I am very proud of my
>> wife and several daughters for becoming tech savy.

Clinton De Young

Mar 23, 2014, 12:50:34 PM3/23/14
to Utah Python List
I call my daughters "guys" all the time (e.g. Guys, which one of you put pudding on the dog and threw him up on the roof?).  In my own defense, it is vernacular they brought home from school and I incorporated into my speech unconsciously.
--
Clinton De Young

Sean Upton

Mar 23, 2014, 5:31:47 PM3/23/14
to utahp...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 10:50 AM, Clinton De Young
<cli...@axisavant.com> wrote:
> I call my daughters "guys" all the time (e.g. Guys, which one of you put
> pudding on the dog and threw him up on the roof?). In my own defense, it is
> vernacular they brought home from school and I incorporated into my speech
> unconsciously.

As do I with family and friends of mixed gender, and even
inadvertently in oral communication in professional contexts where the
majority of my coworkers are female. There is a big difference in
communication contexts, here. Informal oral communication is a fine
place for the familiar vernacular, but written communication
soliciting hires is about as far on the other side of the
professional/informal spectrum as you can get.

My sense is that "need to get a couple of new guys" is very different
from "hey, you guys". The latter has almost no relationship between
signifier and signified, while the former juxtaposed with a big
freakin' (and very real) gender gap in our chosen profession has more
ideological baggage.

Sean
Message has been deleted

Clinton De Young

Mar 23, 2014, 9:41:54 PM3/23/14
to Utah Python List
I was just thinking...

Laurie approached our group to offer us jobs, which we should all be thankful for whether we are personally looking at the moment or not.  Unfortunately, it seems that her generous offer has been eclipsed by reactions to an affront that she never intended.  Since many of us support ourselves on our Python skills, may I suggest that we, as a group, treat the hands that feed us with a little more hospitality?  After all, we're not .NET developers, are we?

Best regards,

Clinton

On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 7:26 PM, Clinton De Young <cli...@axisavant.com> wrote:
Maybe it is just a Python thing.  I spent the day yesterday as a coach at Rails Girls.  Maybe Ruby is where all the women went?

On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 5:30 PM, Laurie Nylund <lny...@gmail.com> wrote:
Sean,

I appreciate that you are very tuned in to the appalling gap in gender in the tech industry.

For some background, I joined this group a few months ago for my own personal benefit, as I am starting to learn Python in my limited free time -- mostly just for fun. About a month ago, I took a new job that happens to be at a local IT Staffing Agency, though my role is to grow a new division focused on providing clients US-based "outsourcing" where I and my teams deliver end-to-end solutions with complete product teams, albeit the developers, testers, designers etc are all freelance contractors working remotely - ie not on-site staff augmentation. I was a freelance provider myself for the last two years, and believe that this is the direction our industry is going.

I just happened to be present when a customer mentioned needed Python developers. I thought the community here might be interested, but I was purposely keeping my post informal as I didn't want to come off as some recruiting vendor who joined the group just to hunt down candidates to push. In the future, I will be more formal in sharing those kinds of jobs, though that is not really my purpose in following this list.

Thanks,
Laurie

Clinton De Young

--
Clinton De Young

Dave Smith

Mar 23, 2014, 10:34:41 PM3/23/14
to utahp...@googlegroups.com
On Mar 23, 2014, at 7:41 PM, Clinton De Young <cli...@axisavant.com> wrote:

> Laurie approached our group to offer us jobs, which we should all be thankful for whether we are personally looking at the moment or not. Unfortunately, it seems that her generous offer has been eclipsed by reactions to an affront that she never intended. Since many of us support ourselves on our Python skills, may I suggest that we, as a group, treat the hands that feed us with a little more hospitality? After all, we're not .NET developers, are we?

Completely agree. Python job announcements are always welcome! Thanks Laurie!

—Dave

Michael Lovell

Mar 24, 2014, 5:23:11 PM3/24/14
to utahp...@googlegroups.com
well apparently we aren't perl developers either. if we were, such an issue would have been resolved already with a short regex that no one could interpret 10 minutes after it was written. :)

mike

Sariah Masterson

Mar 25, 2014, 12:51:38 PM3/25/14
to utahp...@googlegroups.com
Here! Here!

And as a woman - I took absolutely no offense to her using the term "guys". I actually often prefer not being singled out among my majority male peers. I mean I stick out enough already...

$0.02

Sariah

Laurie Nylund

Apr 2, 2014, 11:29:45 AM4/2/14
to utahp...@googlegroups.com
Hey Sariah,

Thanks for the backup.  ;-)

And Mike's comment about being Perl developers cracked me up.

Hopefully, I won't start a new thread of this type, but we actually need 3-5 Python developers asap now. So I am going to try to present that opportunity again...wish me luck!

Thanks,
Laurie