StartupSanta

Gabriel Gunderson

Dec 11, 2015, 6:06:23 PM12/11/15
to Provo Linux Users Group, Utah Python List, uta...@googlegroups.com
All,

I wanted to bring this to your attention:

https://startupsanta.org/

Every dollar and every book go directly to underprivileged kids in
Utah. Most of us were raised in homes were reading, learning and
studying were encouraged and we're better for it :)

I'd encourage you to get your company signed up in this friendly
competition and for you and your co-workers to make difference in the
lives of children right here in our backyards.

Thank you for your time and Happy
(Holidays|(Christ|X|Winter-een-)mas|(Ch|H)ann?ukk?ah|Kwa(nza|anz)a|New
Year's (Eve|Day)|(Boxing|Zamenhof) Day|Yule(tide)?|Winter(val|s
Day|fair)|Festiv(us|al of the Bells)) !

Gabe

Gabriel Gunderson

Dec 11, 2015, 7:04:58 PM12/11/15
to Provo Linux Users Group, Utah Python List, uta...@googlegroups.com
I got some great feedback privately stating that they needed more
context. Most visitors land on that page from an email that sends them
there. Here is a snippet from that email:

"""
Why Children’s Books Are Important

According to the United Way, there are more than a dozen books per
child in middle-income neighborhoods, but in low-income neighborhoods
the ratio is closer to one book for every 300 children. In Utah County
alone, 29 percent of children are in a low-income family. That’s
34,931 children — and that’s just accounting for one county in Utah.

We must come together as a community to solve this problem. Getting
books in the hands of children early is critical because we know third
grade reading ability is one of the strongest indicators for later
success. Students who read at grade level in third grade are four to
six times more likely to graduate from high school. In just Utah
County, almost 20% (one out of five) of third graders do not read at
grade level and are therefore at greater risk of dropping out. In
2014, approximately 970 students dropped out of high school in just
Utah County.

There is a shortage of children’s books in our state, and we’re
lagging behind the rest of the country when it comes to childhood
literacy. Startup Santa would like to help.
"""

Again, thanks!

Best,
Gabe