Local Python companies using/needing mathematics?

rexb...@gmail.com

Mar 20, 2014, 12:12:46 AM3/20/14
to utahp...@googlegroups.com
Random question: does anyone know of any local Python (or otherwise) companies relying on or respecting mathematical talent / perspective?  I'm thinking of potential opportunities for both a junior programmer but mostly what is going on around here in Utah for possible long term opportunities.  One thing that is neat about Python is all the math/sci/stats stuff it can do and the fact these tools are used out in the real world.

Rex

PS The response to my last question a few months ago was astounding.  Thank you.  I decided to focus on Python rather than Ruby and will hopefully be messing around with django soon.

Eric Wollesen

Mar 20, 2014, 10:44:19 AM3/20/14
to utahp...@googlegroups.com
On 3/19/14, 10:12 PM, RexB...@gmail.com wrote:
> Random question: does anyone know of any local Python (or otherwise)
> companies relying on or respecting mathematical talent / perspective?
> I'm thinking of potential opportunities for both a junior programmer
> but mostly what is going on around here in Utah for possible long term
> opportunities. One thing that is neat about Python is all the
> math/sci/stats stuff it can do and the fact these tools are used out in
> the real world.

Red Brain Labs, based in Draper, uses python (in addition to clojure,
javascript, and R), and has a healthy respect for math. In fact, we have
two groups currently working together through various subjects. The
first is a working through _Machine Learning: A Probabilistic Approach_,
while the other is going through the Linear Algebra MOOC offered by EdX.

e.
--
er...@e3labs.com

Chris Galli

Mar 20, 2014, 11:18:30 PM3/20/14
to utahp...@googlegroups.com
The University of Utah Atmospheric Science Department is a heavy user of
Python for scientific computing. The Mountain Meteorology group (where
I'm working) is looking for a part time and full time developer to work
on really challenging and interesting algorithms using Python (see
MesoWest). We run a lot of mesoscale atmospheric models and use Python
for visualization and statistical analysis, and so much more. You don't
have to be a meteorologist or scientist to work in our group--just a
healthy appetite to learn new things while using Python as the main
toolkit is what we're always seeking.

There is also a free Python and scientific computing series that CHPC
offers (same building as my group) that explores parallel computing in
large clusters, etc. Fun stuff! Although that's just about done for this
semester, but it's offered twice a year. CHPC is the Center for High
Performance Computing (http://chpc.utah.edu/).

Cheers and good luck wherever you land!

-Chris Galli
chris...@utah.edu