Would the local tech peeps care?

Gabriel Gunderson

Mar 3, 2014, 8:00:05 PM3/3/14
to Provo Linux Users Group, Utah Python List
All,

I've just been toying around with offering local tech peeps a few free
services that I could provide pretty easily. I wonder if these things
would actually be welcomed by the tech community and worth my effort.

Anyway, here's what I'm thinking...

First, I'd like to offer a tiny vps (virtual private server) for free.
We're not talking about anything you'd run your business on, but it
would give people a place to play around. Because they'd be free, I'd
keep the specs very modest, something like 1 CPU, 40G disks, 512MB RAM
and a static IP (in a shared subnet). We'd offer Ubutnu LTS, CentOS
6.X and anything else the community wanted to help make base images
for. There would be no support or guaranteed up-times.

Next, I'd like to offer unlimited private (or public) git-based
projects on a GitLab server (http://gitlab.org/gitlab-ce/). We would
just limit the total disk space per user to 5G or something. I know
there are a ton of options out there for hosting git projects, but
most of the free stuff is for public projects.

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Is it worth my (well, Izeni's) effort
and expense?

(Feel free to forward to any UT tech communities)

Best,
Gabe

David Boucha

Mar 3, 2014, 8:16:41 PM3/3/14
to utahp...@googlegroups.com, Provo Linux Users Group
I think it would be pretty cool!  It would be handy to have a little vps to test and play with.

Adam Barrett

Mar 3, 2014, 9:29:50 PM3/3/14
to utahp...@googlegroups.com

I'd be interested in it. Always looking for a testing/proving ground for new geeks.

I'd also be interested in the behind the scenes of it, see how its rolled and maintained etc.

Ed Felt

Mar 3, 2014, 9:45:30 PM3/3/14
to utahp...@googlegroups.com, Provo Linux Users Group

Umm ... That would be awesome Gabe.

Gabriel Gunderson

Mar 3, 2014, 10:10:38 PM3/3/14
to Utah Python List
On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 7:29 PM, Adam Barrett <uta...@utahcon.com> wrote:
> I'd also be interested in the behind the scenes of it, see how its rolled
> and maintained etc.

I'd share the backend setup with anyone local that asked. I doubt I'd
publish it. You know I love me some obscurity.

Gabe

kim thomson

Mar 4, 2014, 10:17:18 AM3/4/14
to utahp...@googlegroups.com, Provo Linux Users Group

That would be awesome.

Daniel Fackrell

Mar 4, 2014, 11:06:14 AM3/4/14
to utahp...@googlegroups.com
+1

Jeff Bingham

Mar 3, 2014, 10:52:35 PM3/3/14
to utahp...@googlegroups.com
Gabe,
It is very nice of you to offer these services to the community.  I might have to take you up on the VPS some day.

Yes most of the git hosting systems are only for public repos but I wanted to mention that BitBucket by Atlassian is a great free git service that allows for private repos.  It also includes other related services like a simple issue tracking system (JIRA-lite) and a wiki (Confluence-lite).

--
Jeff Bingham

Gabe

Eric Wollesen

Mar 3, 2014, 11:19:18 PM3/3/14
to utahp...@googlegroups.com
It sounds really awesome! I care!

e.
--
ewol...@gmail.com

Gabriel Gunderson

Mar 4, 2014, 7:04:36 PM3/4/14
to Provo Linux Users Group, Utah Python List
I'm just going to reply to myself here....

On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 6:00 PM, Gabriel Gunderson <ga...@gundy.org> wrote:
> First, I'd like to offer a tiny vps (virtual private server) for free.

I really think this is going to happen. I just got the spec and
pricing for a *beefy* box that will allow me to host a bunch of free,
modest VPSs. The box has the following specs:

2x Xeon (6 cores and HT)
256G DDR3 ECC
SATA 3.0 HBA
16 500G SSDs (starting with 6) backing the zpool.

This comes in right around 10k. More than I wanted, but worth it if
the community digs on it.

I'm still looking for a network sponsor --I should have something
soon. Izeni will write the modest control panel (Django REST and
AngularJS).

I think this is a case of, if you build it, they will come :)

> Next, I'd like to offer unlimited private (or public) git-based
> projects on a GitLab server (http://gitlab.org/gitlab-ce/).

Don't think we're going to pursue this. Not enough interest. Use the
free VPS above to setup your own gitlab server ;)

Anyway, please respond to the list or privately if you'd use something
like this. I need to be sure it's worth the expense before I pull the
trigger. Thanks!

Best,
Gabe

AJ ONeal

Mar 4, 2014, 7:37:08 PM3/4/14
to utahp...@googlegroups.com
I think we need to reach out to BYU and UVU with something like this so their stop stop graduating without ever having used a VPS.

Sent from Mailbox for iPhone

C. R. Oldham

Mar 4, 2014, 7:38:41 PM3/4/14
to utahpython
Excerpts from Gabriel Gunderson's message of 2014-03-04 17:04:36 -0700:
> I think this is a case of, if you build it, they will come :)

And I would. Thank you!

--cro