Wanted: A Python web-services programmer or two

trevor....@uplynk.com

Apr 21, 2015, 12:26:08 PM4/21/15
to utahp...@googlegroups.com

We are upLynk, a small team that's part of Verizon Digital Media Services. We've built an end-to-end video streaming platform that offers both live and on-demand capabilities to small organizations and big media companies alike. Disney, ESPN and ABC TV (among others) use upLynk to stream content to their iOS/Android/web apps. The day SNL launched their app  on our platform we streamed ~180k hours of their stuff. That's a lot of "...living in a VAN down by the RIVER!"

[The Work]

Our backend web services are written in Python, and we're looking for help to add new features to them. If you've shipped code in other languages we're not worried about your ability to pick up Python. Familiarity with Linux and the command line will help out, as will a solid understanding of HTTP. We could use front-end talent too, if you bring it.

[The Company & Team]

As part of a small team in a large company, you get the best of both worlds. Verizon offers the standard benefits of any large company (vacation, health care, 401(k), etc) plus 50% off Verizon Wireless service through their employee purchase program. And as part of a small team you'll get to ship code as often as it's ready, free of any organizational politics and bureaucracy. If you can dig in and take ownership of projects AND are unafraid to ask for help when you get stuck, you'll fit right in.

[The Hardware and Working Conditions]

We'll send you a beefed-up Macbook Pro and a big ol' monitor. Send? Oh yeah, we're a fully distributed team without any offices†, so we all do this from the comforts of our own homes / favorite coffee shops / fortresses of solitude. As long as you’re within 90 or so minutes of Salt Lake City, you’re close enough.  We get together roughly once a month for in-person collaboration, but mostly we're in constant touch using IM (Slack), email, Google Hangouts and an occasional phone call.

If you:

* Can code in (or don't mind learning) Python

* Play well with others

* Understand HTTP

then please get in touch with me so we can start a conversation. Also happy to answer any questions on-list.

† There are offices. They're new (still under construction at Thanksgiving Point, actually), and they're really a showpiece for customers who want to visit us, and a place to use for the monthly hackfest. Nobody works there though. You can be the first, if you want.

ssempala joseph

Apr 21, 2015, 2:44:20 PM4/21/15
to utahp...@googlegroups.com
hi, trevor i am interested. here is my number 801-918-5109

Trevor Hunsaker

Apr 21, 2015, 6:48:32 PM4/21/15
to utahp...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joseph! Do you have a resume you could send over?

Trevor Hunsaker
upLynk Software Engineer

ssempala joseph

Apr 21, 2015, 8:36:30 PM4/21/15
to utahp...@googlegroups.com
sure!

ssempala joseph

Apr 21, 2015, 8:38:24 PM4/21/15
to utahp...@googlegroups.com
Resume.pdf

Shane Hansen

Apr 21, 2015, 8:40:07 PM4/21/15
to utahp...@googlegroups.com

Would you mind taking this off list?

Dustin Davis

Apr 21, 2015, 9:01:21 PM4/21/15
to utahp...@googlegroups.com
It's a google group. You can take yourself off.

Sent from my iPhone.

Colton Myers

Apr 21, 2015, 9:59:01 PM4/21/15
to utahp...@googlegroups.com, utahp...@googlegroups.com
Be that as it may, when a conversation becomes irrelevant to the group at large, it's good manners to stop cc-ing the group.

--
Colton Myers

<Resume.pdf>

Colton Myers

Apr 21, 2015, 10:03:34 PM4/21/15
to utahp...@googlegroups.com, utahp...@googlegroups.com
Also, if there's a way to unsubscribe from a single thread, I'm not finding it...

--
Colton Myers

<Resume.pdf>

Michael Zaro

Apr 21, 2015, 11:33:02 PM4/21/15
to Utahpython

+1 to taking that discussion off list. Once it's a 1-on-1 convo there's no need to keep pinging the list.

Glad to see you've got some leads though :-)

Zaro