Working at Amazon

Ryan Hess

Jan 11, 2016, 1:03:10 PM1/11/16
to Utah Python User Group
I was just given a job offer at Amazon, and I wanted to ask this group if anyone here has worked there - and if so, how you liked it.  They have a reputation of over-working their employees, and I was just wondering if I could get some first-hand information.

Ed Felt

Jan 11, 2016, 1:25:34 PM1/11/16
to utahp...@googlegroups.com

I find this resource very helpful when considering a company:
https://www.glassdoor.com/Overview/Working-at-Amazon-com-EI_IE6036.11,21.htm

Ryan Hess

Jan 11, 2016, 1:28:25 PM1/11/16
to utahp...@googlegroups.com
Thanks!  Ouch, 3.4/5, only 62% would recommend...

On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 11:25 AM, Ed Felt <edf...@gmail.com> wrote:

I find this resource very helpful when considering a company:
https://www.glassdoor.com/Overview/Working-at-Amazon-com-EI_IE6036.11,21.htm

Jacob Albretsen

Jan 11, 2016, 1:37:04 PM1/11/16
to utahp...@googlegroups.com
Quoting Ryan Hess <hess....@gmail.com>:

> Thanks! Ouch, 3.4/5, only 62% would recommend...

Dig deeper. That average is going to contain EVERYONE. Sysadmins,
programmers, call center, Frank in shipping. It's possible that the
department you go into might be great, but department X,Y, and Z down
the hall has a horrible manager and everyone hates it.

Samuel Smith

Jan 11, 2016, 2:12:38 PM1/11/16
to utahp...@googlegroups.com

Clint Savage

Jan 11, 2016, 2:13:47 PM1/11/16
to Utah Python List
Personally, I have several friends who work at Amazon. Most of them are the workaholic type, so their opinions may be tinted with rose colored glasses. However, each of them I've talked with regarding their experience there say they mostly enjoy working there. Some of them work in the Amazon AWS/EC2 side of things, others worked with systems and such. None worked in customer service, or in shipping/warehouse type things.

Hope this helps.

herlo

Adam Barrett

Jan 11, 2016, 2:19:10 PM1/11/16
to utahp...@googlegroups.com
I wouldn't use Glassdoor as the end-all on employment review. Consider the audience who will actually post on Glassdoor. If I were thinking about joining a team I would reach out to people who _STILL_ work there and ask their opinion too. These are the people who will give you a real guage on what it takes day to day. Not saying people who aren't there, who have left, don't understand the realm of Amazon, but they are probably not there because THEY don't match the culture.

Another thing I have heard is that the "company culture" is different per team. Some teams are VERY fast moving, and hard stats and long hours. Other teams are quite laid back and take a longer approach to things. What project are you going to be working on? Which office will you be in? Does it involve a move? Do you have to move just you, or your family? Consider the job market around the area in case Amazon doesn't work out too.