Duplicating SD cards en masse

AJ ONeal

Feb 16, 2011, 1:42:45 PM2/16/11
to Provo Linux Users Group, Utah Embedded
I've got a client who has a product that will be shipped hundreds at a time that each have an sd card

The catch is that each card needs to be stamped with a unique id in a file.

My thought is to
  1. use a standalone sd duplicator to prep the cards
    • mark duped sds with a marker
  2. write an app that
    • runs whenever an sd card is inserted
    • copies the id from a database
    • turns off the usb power
  3. plug in each script by hand to add the id
    • wait for the light to turn off
    • mark the sd card with a marker

If possible I would like to combine all 3 steps by having access to the duplicator in Linux.
Does anyone know of a device for such a task?

AJ ONeal

AJ ONeal

Feb 27, 2011, 1:49:50 AM2/27/11
to Provo Linux Users Group, Utah Embedded
FYI: The SD Card Duplicators listed on Amazon are falsely advertised - at least the NexCopy one.

The ad makes it seem that the duplicator is standalone, but it is not. I know because I have it.

NexCopy SD Card Duplicator (NOT standalone) $1,4000

DIY SD Card Duplicator $400
(Exact same as above, but you make your own box and you get CF, SDHC, MemoryStick, etc, etc, etc)

20x Kingston Card Reader

1x Make a box to hide the cables

DIY Standalone SD Card Duplicator with Touch Screen $900
(Same as above, plus fun little goodies inside)

1x Gumstix Touch Screen kit

AJ ONeal

AJ ONeal

Mar 28, 2011, 1:39:03 PM3/28/11
to Provo Linux Users Group, Utah Embedded
I found a nifty python project for the DIY duplicator:

https://bitbucket.org/thayne/msc-tools/src/e9cfac794732/docs/msc-clone.rst

AJ ONeal