Scheduling meeting for next week

Stephen Roller

Aug 29, 2016, 1:10:56 PM8/29/16
to ut-flare
Hey guys,

Let's have a FLARE meeting next week. Fill out this doodle. Note that I'm ruling out Monday's altogether because I have enough Monday stuff already.

I think everyone agreed that we want to use FLARE this semester to review some of the big trends from the past 6-12 months in deep learning, focusing only on stuff that's since been BIG.

Here's a few proposals, and does anyone want to volunteer to go first? Your responsibility would be to do the lit review to identify the 1 or 2 seminal papers for the topic.

- Ultra Fast Deep Learning Intro (Unclear if we want this?)
- Highway networks/Shortcut connecdtions
- Adversarial Networks
- LSTMS w/ Attention
- Memory Networks
- Deep Q learning
- Bayesian Deep Learning
- What else? What's the major development in ConvNets from the past year?

Cheers,
Stephen

Stephen Roller

Aug 29, 2016, 1:33:39 PM8/29/16
to ut-flare
I realized a bunch of people hadn't gotten this email because they weren't on the list yet! Repeating this message for their benefit.

Wesley Tansey

Aug 29, 2016, 3:41:52 PM8/29/16
to Stephen Roller, ut-flare
I'd be willing to lead a discussion or two on Bayesian deep learning stuff at some point. The two main things going on here are: 1) the generative interpretations of various NN architectures like ReLUs (which turn out to correspond to truncated Gaussians), along with the associated scalable MCMC algorithms like stochastic MCMC; and 2) cutting-edge things like all this "normalizing flow" stuff that's coming out where you try to make variational inference algorithms that can actually approximate very complex posterior distributions to the point of being a first-class citizen almost akin to MCMC. The former is mostly coming from Lawrence Carin's lab at Duke; the latter is generally coming from Deep Mind. Happy to present one or both, but probably not all in the same week.

Joel Iventosch

Aug 29, 2016, 8:23:10 PM8/29/16
to FLARE
I am really interested in LSTMs w Attention. I probably don't have enough experience w them to lead a discussion on them at this point (at least to the level that some others might be able to), but definitely a vote of interest for that topic, and I'd be happy to do some reading/lit survey to help tee that topic up.

Aishwarya Padmakumar

Aug 30, 2016, 7:02:25 PM8/30/16
to FLARE
I guess I second Joel. LSTMs with attention is probably familiar to bunch of people here but it's something I really feel I need to know more about and haven't really looked at much before.
Also, I'm still not getting mail from this group although I've been added to it. Anyone has any idea why that could be happening?

Nazneen Rajani

Aug 30, 2016, 7:04:52 PM8/30/16
to Aishwarya Padmakumar, FLARE
Change your notification settings for this Google group, I was facing the same issue..

Stephen Roller

Sep 2, 2016, 12:05:12 PM9/2/16
to ut-flare

Hey everyone, please fill out the doodle by the end of today! I’ll make an announcement later.

Cheers,

Stephen

Sep 6, 2016, 6:10:44 PM9/6/16
to FLARE
Can someone please announce the location of the meeting?