interesting talk on Friday

Leif Johnson

Oct 6, 2014, 7:57:53 AM10/6/14
to ut-f...@googlegroups.com
Hi all -

This talk looks like it will be interesting for many folks in the group.

Beyond experts and engineering: exploiting data for automated control
Martha White
Friday at 1pm
GDC 3.516

Abstract:

There are many opportunities to automate real-world control problems,
based on the increase of data capture and storage coupled with recent
advances in machine learning. For example, in control of wind
turbines, an autonomous agent could use wind, acceleration and strain
sensors to learn and continually adapt the wind turbine controller,
improving efficiency and reducing structure load. In this talk, I will
discuss two key aspects of developing autonomous, adaptive learning
agents: off-policy reinforcement learning and convex representation
learning. I will discuss how reinforcement learning is a simple yet
general formalism for learning controllers from massive streams of
data. However, the success of machine learning techniques, including
reinforcement learning techniques, often hinge on the quality of the
representation of the data. I will discuss my contributions to
representation learning particularly for noisy, high-dimensional data.
Tackling these two important problems concurrently is a significant
step towards the deployment of autonomous agents in data-rich,
real-world applications.

Bio:

Martha White is pursing a Ph.D. at the University of Alberta in
machine learning, and will soon be joining the School of Informatics
and Computing at Indiana University as an Assistant Professor. During
her Ph.D. work, her focus has been convex representation learning and
reinforcement learning. She is passionate about developing autonomous
learning agents, particularly for computational sustainability.

--
http://www.cs.utexas.edu/~leif