November 2013 Meeting

Jeff Shutt

Oct 14, 2013, 10:57:12 AM10/14/13
to uses...@googlegroups.com
Presentation on leveraging Scala for Big Data & Data Mining with Scalding, Hadoop and Cassandra by Helena.

"I'll be covering an end to end use case of using Scala to pull vast distributed data sets from S3, using Scalding, Bijection, Protobuf, Hadoop, and piping the data mined from such map reduce jobs to Cassandra for highly scalable storage, and finally, leveraging Azkaban for running these as scheduled reports."

Also, there will be food so please RSVP so we know how much to order.

Kevin Edwards

Oct 16, 2013, 10:56:00 AM10/16/13
to uses...@googlegroups.com
The room we usually meet in is under construction.  We'll be meeting in the Carrots conference room in the main building. There is no change in the time.  We'll start at 5:30. The address is 1930 South State Street, Salt Lake City, UT 84115.  Head north on State street.  Take the first left after you pass 2100 South.  Go ahead and park anywhere.  Bring your driver's license.  You'll need it to pass security.  You will not be able to enter the building without ID.

Inline image 3

Scala Group Temp Location.PNG

Jeff Shutt

Oct 30, 2013, 9:50:07 AM10/30/13
to uses...@googlegroups.com
Just a reminder about our meeting 1 week from today. Please be aware of our room change on the Franklin Covey campus, details are here. Also, if you have not done so already, please RSVP here so we know how much food to get.

Jeff Shutt

Oct 31, 2013, 10:00:38 AM10/31/13
to uses...@googlegroups.com
Oops, sorry for the confusion. I meant the O.C. Tanner campus, not Franklin Covey. I used to work on the Franklin Covey campus and said the wrong place.

Kevin Edwards

Nov 5, 2013, 5:17:41 PM11/5/13
to uses...@googlegroups.com
Since we're meeting in the main building for the time being you'll need ID to get in -- driver's license etc.

Erik

Nov 6, 2013, 12:30:30 AM11/6/13
to uses...@googlegroups.com
Looks like we'll have a fantastic turnout for Helena's presentation. Here is her blog and brief bio http://helenaedelson.com/?page_id=54

For those who haven't joined us yet or haven't been in a while this would be a great session to attend...don't miss!

See you Wednesday night! And don't forget to RSVP so we can plan for enough pizza https://plus.google.com/u/0/events/cfvpjdq9akekn5bn9jlkedubr30?cfem=1

Best,
Erik

Erik

Nov 7, 2013, 1:50:57 PM11/7/13
to uses...@googlegroups.com
Another great presentation and discussion from Helena last night--and record turnout.

Thanks Helena. Thanks Jeff.