Anorm

Jeff Shutt

Aug 13, 2014, 3:57:08 PM8/13/14
to uses...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone have enough experience with Anorm that they would feel comfortable enough presenting at our next meeting? If so, please let me know.

Tim Harper

Aug 13, 2014, 4:29:03 PM8/13/14
to uses...@googlegroups.com
I haven't used Anorm, but I know enough to say I mostly disagree with this conclusion:

A type safe DSL to generate SQL is a mistake

Some argue that a type safe DSL is better since all your queries are checked by the compiler. Unfortunately the compiler checks your queries based on a meta-model definition that you often write yourself by ‘mapping’ your data structure to the database schema.

There are no guarantees that this meta-model is correct. Even if the compiler says that your code and your queries are correctly typed, it can still miserably fail at runtime because of a mismatch in your actual database definition.

In practice, the type-safe DSL of slick has served us extremely well, and we have yet to experience a single issue in production from having the meta-model out-of-sync with the database... but YMMV.

:)

Pretty cool library, otherwise.

On Aug 13, 2014, at 13:57, Jeff Shutt <shu...@gmail.com> wrote:

Does anyone have enough experience with Anorm that they would feel comfortable enough presenting at our next meeting? If so, please let me know.

Matthew Barlocker

Aug 18, 2014, 6:07:38 PM8/18/14
to uses...@googlegroups.com
I can do that. I have a fair amount of experience with Anorm at Lucid Software. I will be presenting with Mark Siebert, a software engineer at Lucid.

To confirm day/time: Wed Sep 3 5:30pm @ OC Tanner?

Let me know if this works for you.

Kevin Edwards

Aug 20, 2014, 11:23:55 PM8/20/14
to uses...@googlegroups.com
Mathew,

Yes on date and time. It is at OC Tanner but not at the main building. It's at a satellite building just north of the main building. They're in the same parking lot. The address is 1865 S. Main St. Suite 200, SLC, 84115.

Thanks,

Kevin

Matthew Barlocker

Sep 7, 2014, 10:28:36 AM9/7/14
to uses...@googlegroups.com
Here are my slides from the presentation.